COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

geneva in april end

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

geneva in april end

I m planning a honeymoon trip to the riviera n paris in april. On the way from nice to paris wanted to stop a couple of nights in the alps but m told that resorts like chamonix will still b closed in april last week. Wd geneva b a good alternative for 2-3 nights? Any other suggestions? Need to close this asap!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Not Geneva, but Montreux or Vevey would be lovely. Geneva is a huge international city (hardly honeymoon-worthly imho) but the other smaller towns along Lac Leman are gorgeous, and easily reached within an hour or so by train from Geneva.
www.vevey.ch and www.montreux.ch
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM

anyone else?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Hi wanderer_80,

Well, yes Geneva might be nice (and like suze I prefer the smaller towns). And Morges has a tulip festival in April, I think, so that would be really nice to see. But of course Lake Geneva is nowhwere near the Swiss Alps; it'll be about another two or three hours to set foot on any high peaks.

To stay in the Alps, you could go via Milan to Brig, where there are gorgeous peaks all around and numerous hiking trails, and of course the Matterhorn isn't too far away. But the trip will be about 8-9 hours from Nice. Yuck! And then you'll have much of the same problem as you're finding with Chamonix -- some cable cars and many hotels will be closed because no one will be there.

Personally, I would hold off on the Alps until you have more time to enjoy them; spend those extra days in Paris (particularly if this is your first trip).

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze and S! Have decided to stay in France this time around. Switzerland would end up complicating things. Will leave it for another time.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM

well darnitall ;-)

it's one of the few places in europe i know a lot about and can help people with -lol!!!