Reload this Page >

General Foot Care

Search

General Foot Care

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Doug

General Foot Care

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I'm leaving in June 28th for two weeks in London and Paris. Having spent 6 days in the UK back in 1995, I know how important it is to take care of your feet. Somehow I made it through the stay, but not before becoming well acquatinted with blisters and ibuprofen. <BR> <BR>Of course things have changed since then. I've dropped a lot of weight and now walk 2.5 miles at least 3 times a week. Still I can't help but worry about lasting 14 days and not ending up with battered and worn out feet. <BR> <BR>As I get ready for the trip, I thought I would solicit your suggestions on foot care while traveling. Aside from the usual (wear comfortable shoes, good socks, etc.), what other things can help prevent foot fatigue? For instance, I've been told that talcum powder can help prevent blisters if used regularly. <BR> <BR>Give me YOUR best foot care recommendations! <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance, <BR> <BR>~ Doug <BR> <BR>PS I already have a supply of moleskin -- I just don't know how to use it.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 06:48 AM
ilisa

I love moleskin. I used to use it when I danced and wore pointe shoes. Now I use it faithfully when I intend to do a lot of walking. My feet are prone to blisters, so before I put on my shoes and socks in the morning I put a small piece of moleskin over the spots I know will be affected. If you don't do this, be aware of how your feet feel when you walk. If parts of your toes begin to feel "hot", then you are going to get a blister. Cut off a small piece of moleskin and place it over the spot. I have been doing this for years and it always works.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:35 AM
elvira

Keep your feet dry (hence, the talc). Carry a pair of socks in your daypack if you think your feet could get wet. <BR> <BR>Take off your shoes and socks and walk in grass anytime you can (discovered this after 3 hours in Versailles on marble floors when we went out in the backyard). <BR> <BR>Elevate your feet: put your legs up on a bench or put your feet on a chair; if you're not prone to embarrassment, lay on the grass and put your feet in the air. <BR> <BR>Use a foot soak (there are fizzy tablets out there) and discover a new use for the bidet; buy a footcream with peppermint or other cooling ingredient, and rub it in at night and in the morning. <BR> <BR>Before you leave, give yourself a pedicure or have one done professionally. No kidding, cutting your toenails correctly, softening the cuticle, clipping hangnails - get your feet ready before you go. <BR> <BR>Finally, bring a pair of flipflops for walking around in your room, or down to breakfast - try to give your feet as much 'outside' time as possible.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Ann

Make SURE you wear flip flops in the shower. The virus that causes plantar's warts/verrucas seems to flourish in the U.K. for some reason!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:08 AM
ron

I agree with the moleskin advice, especially about protecting the vulnerable spots before starting out each day - I find that by the time I notice a "hot spot" it is too late to apply a piece of moleskin. <BR> <BR>I also wear polypropylene under socks for serious hiking - the rubbing takes place between the socks, not between your foot and the socks. I have purchased in England a couple of pairs of "1000 mile socks", which are a two layer sock, the underlayer being polypropylene. They work well. <BR> <BR>Finally, you can buy band aid/plasters with liquid or gel pads to put on blisters that will allow one to keep walking with minimum pain. <BR> <BR>Ron

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:13 AM
frank

Practice walking to harden your feet & use shoes with hard soles.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:37 AM
Dr. Fordor

To the Good Mr. Mole, <BR> <BR>Better stay down in the basement, these people may skin you alive. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Doug, we just got back from a 10 day jaunt and I found that alternating 2 pairs of good shoes worked pretty well (one pair during the day, one at night). My unscientific theory is that different shoes will have different pressure points, so alternating will reduce the chances for fatigue or blisters. By the end of the trip, my feet were tired, but not in pain. <BR> <BR>And as soon as you get on the plane, remove your shoes (your feet will swell during the flight). Just do us a favor and wear clean socks.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 01:09 PM
pam

The "after it's too late" application of moleskin (actually molefoam is about twice as thick so you might opt for that for the "after" use): cut a piece of moleskin about 3/4" larger in diameter than your blister or hot spot. Then cut a hole in the moleskin just larger than the blister. Stick the moleskin on your foot. Voila! Now you have a little raised doughnut surrounding your owie that should keep all pressure off the tender spot.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:37 PM
karen

having just returned from 17 days in austria...took lots of foot supplies... I used almost everything...the moleskin and thicker foam type. they are all in drugstores...try a few different stores as they carry some different supplies ..change half way through day if you can...I used lotion and massage at night...the oval pads are great with the hole in them just to relieve pressure...I never imagined the foot stuff would be my best investment for a great trip

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 04:25 AM
workin' girl

Another tip for dryness is to spray your feet with an underarm antiperspirant (sp?) a few moments before you put your socks on. Sounds silly, but provides bit more help. Make sure it's antiperspirant, NOT deodorant. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 04:52 AM
Donna

We're headed to Paris tomorrow and I've already stocked up on foot care products. I always bring a pair of heel linings, as often a pair of shoes will stretch out a bit after a few days and slip after wearing them all over. I also like those "ball of the foot" cushions. If you're not used to walking a lot, callouses can develop there. And, I always bring my Dr. Scholl's callous remover (the one that looks like a huge nail file) to keep after them. I wouldn't leave home without moleskin either, but I stick it in my shoes as opposed to on my feet. I cut a few pieces and carry them in my pocket. As soon as I notice any sort of "sore spot" developing, I immediately apply the moleskin to the part of the shoe that's causing it. It's best to get your feet in good shape well before leaving, taking care of any problems before starting out. Having a pedicure is an excellent idea. I received a catalog in the mail the other day called FootSmart (800-870-7149) which contains everything imaginable! Haven't visited the website yet, but it's www.footsmart.com

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:01 AM
paige

Can someone give me the scoop on moleskin? I have no idea what it is!

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 09:02 AM
pam

Moleskin is a woven cloth, brushed to raise a nap, often used for warm trousers. The moleskin we're discussing is some fuzzy material with adhesive on one side. A common brand is Dr. Scholl. Look in your local pharmacy for a 'foot care' section.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 08:07 PM
Robin

Wow-- this is good stuff! I was in France with seriously sore feet when this posting was going on! Worth a second look...

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 01:31 PM
Caitlin

Definitely moleskin and also peppermint foot lotion (make sure it has peppermint). That stuff works wonders, and massaging it in at night, or even halfway through the day if you have a place to take your shoes off, does way more than you'd think. If you're willing to take up the space in your luggage, on of those small wood ribbed "footsie rollers" (very lightweight) is great for massaging tired feet.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:26 PM
D. Hendrickson

While hiking 6-8 miles a day in northern England last year, I developed about every foot problem one can have while walking. A British hiker introduced me to a product called Compeed, available in any English pharmacy (and at Boots drugstore at the airports). It resembles our moleskin, but is clear and thicker - the English call it liquid skin. Truly a miracle for the sore foot!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:25 PM
Kaja

As the previous poster suggested: Compeed. You can get Compeed in Norway, and I know they sell it in Sweden and Denmark too. <BR>I get blisters all the time, but after I tried Compeed I never get it anymore. The trick is to put it on before you get the blister. It stays on several days if you put it on right. <BR>If you already have blisters it helps to put on Compeed. <BR>If the weather is nice I always wear my Ecco sandals. I have never had blisters or sore feet when I wore them! <BR>Kaja <BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:25 AM
Maggi

If I know I am going to be on my feet all day, I swallow my pride and wear a good pair of broken-in athletic shoes. My mother always used to say "vanity has to suffer". I have done catering and would stand on my feet preparing food 10 hours a day. The days I wore athletic shoes with a good arch and cushioning I felt a huge difference - much less tired overall and less leg pain. If you find a pair that are not white they may look less "American" if you care about things like that.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Doug Stalnaker

Hi all, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the great information! A small follow-up about "compeed". It's available in the states from the folks at Band-Aid. They call it "Blister Block" and I was able to pick some up at the local (where else?) Wal-Mart. <BR> <BR>~ Doug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -