Gelato in Northern Italy

Apr 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Gelato in Northern Italy

We will be traveling around Northern Italy later this month and would love recommendations for great gelato places. We'll be in Venice, Bologna, Ravenna, Verona, Vicenza and at Lake Como staying in Bellagio We'll be driving the countryside in and around the above cities. Searching this site I've found recommendations for gelato in Venice and Bologna, but no other places. Specifically I've found in
Venice: Gelateria Squero, Ca'D'Oro, Il Gelatone, Gelateria Da Nico & Del Doge Nico,Zattere al Gesuati
Paolin

Bologna: I've found recommednations on Gelataurio,GROM and La Sorbetteria Castiglione & Gelateria Moline

So any suggestions for other great gelato places? thanks for helping me gain a few lbs in Italy!
Apr 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi Y,

In Bologna
From train station take Via delle Independenza (at east end of train station) south. At Via Augusto Righi go left 3 blks to Gelateria Moline, Via delle Moline 13.

One of the best in Bologna.

Apr 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM

If you explore the town of Como on Lake Como, right by the ferry stop is Piazza Cavour. There is a tabachi on the left side of the piazza. Right next to it is a small gelateria.

I liked their frutti di bosco better than Giolitti's in Rome.
We actually stayed in Como and had at least one serving a day.
Apr 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. The one in Bologna is right near where we'll be staying. Will certainly check out the one in Como when we go thru there.

any more suggestions?
May 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Everywhere we go in Italy, I research the gellato spots and put them on my map! The best I have ever had, anywhere, is at STEFINO in Bologna. (not to be confused with a different place ON Stefano st., I think.) I'm not kidding... you won't be sorry if you go there. I didn't try it until the last night and was just sick at the lost opportunity, as it was right behind our hotel!!! It is the freshest, most pure gelato I have ever tasted. No frills. Just gelato and some frozen fruit drinks which are incredible too. I mean fresh, fresh frozen fruit drinks. Don't miss it, and please let me know after... I am just sure it is the best in the world!
I think that the article that led me to it might be helpful, too...
it's at
http://www.seriouseats.com/eating_ou...n-bologna.html
May 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

I wish I had this article b4 we went. I did hit 2 of the ones mentioned and they were delicious. I'll keep this for future reference. thanks!
May 28th, 2008, 04:58 AM

A very general tip is to look for "Artiganale" in the name of the store. This usually means home-made to a special recipe, with few artificial flavors, if any, and is considered the best quality gelato by Itailans.