Reload this Page >

Gelati at Vivoli - Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:13 AM
Debbie Lee

I've heard many folks espouse the wonders of this particular gelati, and after trying a 'search' (that only came up with how great it was!)and looking in a couple of guide books, I still can't find out where it is. Could someone perhaps give general directions (as in, it's near the Doumo etc..)so I can earmark it in my Guide Book! (My husband is laughing at me for asking!! Obviously he won't be when he'll be eating it!!) Thanks again....

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:22 AM
robin

-- <BR>How DARE your husband laugh at such an inquiry! A good 'cuppa' ciocolatto or stratiatella (like a chocolate chip flavor) or nicola (a hazelnut) is NOTHING to be sneered at. <BR> <BR>Your post has me hunting for my Fodor's Citypack on Florence - used it when visiting last year and it has the address of Vivoli's. Where did I put that darn book? If another poster doesn't provide your answer, I'll track it down.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:49 AM
Debbie Lee

Robin, Many many thanks!! My hubby can't believe it!!(He's still laughing at me!!) A reply to my seemingly frivilous question... I HAVE READ what they say about that stuff, and I can't WAIT tp try it! Thanks for trying for me....

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:23 AM
Linda

The address for Vivoli's is 7, via isole della stinche. It is near the Duomo & all you have to do is follow the garbage cans full of Vivoli's cups--the more there are, the closer you are. To email them or get phone numbers try http://www.cosmos.it/ilGelato.Vivoli/vivoli-en.htm <BR>It is definitely worth it. They have a postcard on their wall that is addressed to Vivoli's, Europe & it found its way there.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 12:25 PM
robin

* <BR>As Linda said, Vivoli's address is Via Isola delle Stinche 7. Did find my Fodor's Citypack and it says that the store is located close to Piazza Santa Croce. (Santa Croce is also not the far from the Duomo) <BR>Also, it advises they are closed on Mondays, but you'll probably need to check if that's still true. <BR> <BR>Another gelateria of note is the "Gelateria Carabe"; it's located at Via Ricasoli 60, which is close to the Accademia. Didn't get a chance to taste their offerings, but can verify that quality at Vivoli's is excellent. <BR> <BR>Also, whenever choosing a gelato shop in Italy, the best ones make their product fresh & on the premises. Look for a sign in the window saying, PRODUZIONE PROPRIA.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 06:42 PM
Dona

Debbie, <BR> <BR>ok - this is serious... If you're standing in front of the church Santa Croce, with the church to your back, salk to the end of the piazza, cross Via Giuseppe Verdi, go down Via Torta, one block to Via Isola d. Stinche. <BR> <BR>If you find yourself in the Piazza Della Signoria (where the outside statue of David is), put your back to the Arno, walk to your left to the end of the Piazza, go straight down Via Dei Calzaiuoli, 3 blocks to Via dei Tavolini. Make a right to #19r (you'll see a pile of gelato cups) and you'll be at Perche No!, another hot spot in gelato land. <BR> <BR>Personally, nocciuolo (no-chee-o`-lo), hazelnut, is my gelato of choice! <BR> <BR>Have a great time! <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 06:50 PM
betsy

Would love to be in Firenze when Vivoli's has fig gelato, though heaven help me if I chance asking for it in Italian! Also would like to try pomegranate or ginger. Have not come across any of those flavors yet, but there's another trip to Italy in my future in 2001, so I'm hopeful.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 10:28 PM
luigi

That was hysterical, Betsy!!! I am sitting here LMAO! Thanks for making my night.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:42 AM
Debbie Lee

Thanks all, so very, very much! I am SURE I can feel an addiction coming on, and I haven't even tasted it yet... How on earth do you decide which flavour to have? Perhaps make a list and work through it??? Baci is already the absolute FIRST on my list... and then.... bliss... Thanks again...

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 05:16 AM
elaine

Debbie <BR>Decision-making at Vivoli is not to be taken lightly. Aside from all the chocolate-nut-coffee flavor variations which most people rave about, I have to put in a plug for the fruit flavors--the strawberry and the banana flavors, if they have them, have more fruit essence and flavor than the fruits themselves.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 05:30 AM
Paige

I hate to be a poot, but I was a little disappointed. I had read how wonderful it was (over and over!) and I guess there was no way it could live up to my expectations! Another disappointing thing was the hoards of American tourists inside and all around, even tour groups clogging the streets. I LOVE gelato, but I prefer small, out of the way places without huge crowds.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Sandi

_ <BR>Debbie, you may not be aware that your selection does NOT have to be limited to one flavor at a time. Even with the smallest size cup (& they'll have their size selections lined up usually w/prices on them) - you can choose to have 2 flavors. And with the medium to larger sizes, a trio of flavors can be had! <BR> <BR>Of course, this can make things even MORE complicated! Mmmmmmmmmmm - I think I need to make a quick trip to my freezer.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Matt

Another satisfied Vivolis customer. <BR>But I don't think I've ever had a bad gelato in Italy, even if it wasn't at one of the 'name' places.