Gatwick to Waterloo

Search

Gatwick to Waterloo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick to Waterloo

Arriving Gatwick on a Wednesday at 9:55am and plan to take train to Paris. How much time would you allow betweeen landing and boarding train.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM

First Capital Connect to Clapham Junction; SW trains to Waterloo. Takes about 50 minutes.

Check out the trip planning section:
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

Assuming you clear customs and baggage by 1130, you can be at Waterloo by 1230.

Regards Ger
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM

You can check schedules on www.nationalrail.co.uk. Gatwick-Waterloo takes about 50 minutes either by Southern train to Clapham Junction where you change for Waterloo, or by First Capital Connect train to London Bridge where you change for Waterloo East which is linked to Waterloo International by a ramp and escalators. The connection at London Bridge is easier because the trains go from the same platform, whereas changing at Clapham Junction involves going up and down stairs and finding the right platform. Services on both routes run about every 15 minutes.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:53 AM

London Bridge every time.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Build in a little time for delays. They can happen. Planes don't always land on time, who among us has not circled and circled someplace at sometime? Always allow for delays in getting baggage and immigration - sometimes it's a breeze, other times you can wait wait and wait. I'd build an extra hour or so into this schedule "just in case" but that is me. If you have some extra time you can always grab a sandwich or something at Waterloo.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM

You'll need to check in at Waterloo around 30 mins before the train leaves.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Is Waterloo East the last stop and then you would go by escalator to Waterloo International? We would have 2 large suticases. Is that a problem? What about Gatwick Express into town then a taxi to Waterloo? That sounds easier to me with luggage.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>We would have 2 large suticases. Is that a problem?</i>&quot; Only if you can't manage them over fairly long distances, up and down stairs and escalators, and up on to the train.

Just how large are you talking about???
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Waterloo East is one stop after London Bridge. I can't remember for the moment whether there are stairs or a ramp up from the platform there to the (level) walkway across to the main Waterloo station. From there, there's an escalator down to the main concourse (level) and from there another escalator down to the international check-in.

If manhandling your luggage is likely to be an issue, then a taxi from either Victoria or London Bridge would make sense.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Any time large (or even semi-large) suitcases come into the game then I'd opt for a taxi. Unless you are 100%positive you can manage large luggage on stairs, escalators, walking and dragging them (and carrying your purse/carryons as well) in a crowded area then don't do it.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:16 AM

If your suitcases are too large to drag or carry, how would you get them from the train to the taxi at Victoria?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:31 AM

With bulky roller cases, the London Bridge option is less painful than a taxi from Victoria, but it does involve walking.

I've hardly ever alighted from the Gatwick Express and failed to find luggage trolleys around (though one of you sometimes has to make an undignified rush for them while the other guards the bags), but I've never seen any trolleys at Waterloo East - though others might have done.

So if your cases haven't got wheels, train to Victoria then taxi - where (and again others may have different experiences) I've rarely seen trolleys at the platforms used by Southern.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

We have two rolling bags that we can handle but not up and down stairs or in the tube. The best plan sounds like the Espress to Victoria then taxi to Waterloo station. Hopefully 4 hours is enough time or the next train would be an hour and half later. Thanks for your responses.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>but not up and down stairs </i>&quot; - then how do you get them on/off the train?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Getting on: one person stands on the platform, and the other boards the train. The outside one pushes, and the inside one pulls. Repeat for the other person's bag.

Getting off: reverse the above with respect to who pushes and who pulls.

Lemma: when one person doesn't have to be schlepping his/her <i>own</i> luggage, s/he can assist the other.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robespierre, with that help I am assured of making my train. Too funny.