Gatwick to Cardiff--Train or Car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive from the states at Gatwick at 8 am and want to get to Wales for 3 days before returning to London for 3 days. I am having a time deciding whether to rent a car(there are 4 of us adults) at Gatwick and drive to Cardiff after the all nite flight or take the train. I have driven on the left before but didnt love it. The train seems best, but I didnt want to hassle with the lugguge in Victoria and then to another station to catch the train to Cardiff. It looks like I can go from Gat to Reading and catch the London-Cardiff line there but none of the websites will let me book it that way. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM
ron

If you are using TrainLine.com, when you get to the page that only gives you journeys via London, click on "buy now". The next page gives you the option to type in "avoid London". When you do that, it will give you the Gatwick to Reading options.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Try the <b>www.thetrainline.com</b>.

Do 2 seperate bookings to get an idea of what's possible, Gatwick-Reading and Reading to Cardiff. Once you find what you want, try e-mailing or calling. Good luck!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Great advice. Thanks Ron and AAFF.

keithp
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Your other option is to take a bus. National Express has direct services from Gatwick to Cardiff. It will mean you have a direct service and don't need to worry about carrying your bags.

It might well work out longer than the two trains but could be more relaxing.
www.nationalexpress.com
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:34 AM

When my husband and I went to Cardiff in March, we took the National Express bus from the Victoria bus station. I got round trip tickets for 18 GBP each. The bus also went through a couple of small towns that I wouldn't have seen had we been on a train.

Where are you staying in Cardiff? My husband and I stayed at a B&amp;B across the river Taff from Millennium Stadium. It is called Austin's Guest house and their website is http://www.hotelcardiff.com/. It was very clean and quiet. They also provided lots of good food for breakfast.