Gatwick to 12 Temple Place

Jan 25th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Gatwick to 12 Temple Place

I'm busy studying the tube and bus routes in London for our upcoming trip. Everyone (friends, relatives, not Fodorites) keep telling me the Gatwick Express is the best way to get into the city. However, it looks to me like the Thameslink to Blackfriars puts us very near our hotel at 12 Temple Place, Strand. The Thameslink takes longer, but it seems it would save time in the long run because we wouldn't have to get another train or tube from Victoria. Is my thinking or geography off?
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:44 AM

TTT..I think you are correct
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Nope. That's a workable route - although it's a little further than "very near" if you're lugging luggage. Type 12 temple place london into Google and press "Maps."

The other thing to consider is wait time. The Thameslink trains don't operate with the same frequency as the trains to Victoria.

p.s. The Gatwick Express is NOT "the best way to get into the city." It costs £5 more than Southern Trains on the same route.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Can we take the tube from Blackfriars to the Temple stop which is right across the street from our hotel?

So many trains! Where can I find a Southern Train schedule? Also, we'll be dropping off a rental car at Garwick. Where is the car drop off compared to all these trains?
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedules from "Gatwick" to "London Victoria" or "London Blackfriars" and select direct trains only. To Victoria, Gatwick Express trains take 30 mins and Southern Trains take a few minutes more, but both should appear in the schedule. To Blackfriars, First Capital Connect trains are normally every 15 minutes. All go from the same station at Gatwick Airport.
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have been using that site to plan a trip to Windsor; I just wasn't sure ALL the different trains were on that site. I'm assuming First Capital Connect and Thameslink are the same company??
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Temple is 2 minutes from Blackfriars by Tube (Circle or District line), or 12 minutes walking.
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM

First Capital Connect has replaced Thameslink; the franchise has been given to First Group which has re-branded the trains.