Gatwick layover...visit friends?

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick layover...visit friends?

I have a five hour layover in Gatwick airport from the US en route to Italy. My friend(whom I haven't seen in years) wants to come and visit with me at the airport but can I meet hime somewhere and if so, where and will I have enough time to clear customs and such? A quick answer would be appreciated as I am leaving next week!
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:37 AM
jay

I would recommend that they come and see you at the airport. If you allow an hour for customs etc., that would leave you 4 hours. The train ride to Victoria is 25 Min. ea way so that would leave you 3hr if you wanted to meet them in London. Take another 30-60 min to get back through security ... it is a headache. Meet them at the airport.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

You made my day! I can't wait to see him thanks!
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Ash - Do you know which Terminal you arrive/depart - South or North?

This link lists bars and restaurants in both:

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/g...ing_frame.html

If you want a meeting place in South Terminal, the Wetherspoons pub would be good.

Otherwise there's a McDonalds in both terminals ... or pick one of the coffee bars.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

oh it does help...thanks so much!
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:54 AM

You didn't say what airline you are flying. Some (AA, BA, DL) use the North Terminal, others (CO, VS, NW) use the South Terminal.

A good place to meet in the North Terminal - LeMeridien Hotel. Connected with a short tunnel to the terminal it has a very nice cafe in the main lobby, a nice sports pub on the first floor and a full service restaurant.

South Terminal has a Hilton Hotel which is also connected to the terminal. I have not been there but I assume it also has similar offerings as the LeMeridien Hotel.

There are numerous restaurants/bars in the terminals but they tend to be busy and loud. The hotel bars/cafes are usually less crowded, quiet and a better option for a get together with a friend.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Booked through Us Airways (flight to Florence on Meridiana)...does that help as to which terminal I am in? Just checked my flight itinerary and we have arrive in Gatwick at 9am...so I guess a coffee shop? Does anyone know...9am on a Monday...will customs be busy?
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Meridiana flies from South Terminal.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks!
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:12 AM

USAir uses the South Terminal. Guessing immigration/customs time is difficult. It all depends on how many flights come in at around the same time and from where? It seems like immigration takes longer when there are flights from Africa/Middle East. Many of the travelers don't have the proper documents thus slowing down the entire process. It could be very quick and as long as hour. Customs is a breeze.

Here is a link to the Hilton site. It lists all the dining/drinking options:

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=OY5502ZFCYKAYCSGBIV222QKIYF C5UUC?ctyhocn=GATHITW