8 hour layover at Gatwick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying from SFO to MAD - with an 8 hour layover in LGW. We arrive a little after noon and fly out a bit after 8:30 pm. We are flying Norwegian Business, but apparently we will not have access to the lounge at LGW, since the second leg of our flight is not leaving from the terminal with the lounge (I called Norwegian to check on this). I know we'll be somewhat jet lagged, and am wondering if we should consider an on-site hotel, and of so, do we have to book in advance or can we just show up?
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> am wondering if we should consider an on-site hotel, and of so, do we have to book in advance or can we just show up?<<

You absolutely need to pre-book a day room. But there is a yotel IN the South Terminal. Yotel is a pay by the hour hotel with pod-like rooms and expensive for an overnight, but for a short stay they are convenient. https://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/yotelair-london-gatwick

If you decide to get out and about both Brighton (beaches and the Royal Pavilion) and London are about 30 minutes by train.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info janis! The yotel looks pretty good, except that it's on the landside of the terminal, so we'd have to get through security to get back to the gate for our flight. I haven't ever flown through Gatwick, so have no idea if the security lines take a really long time there. I am also bearing in mind that we will be flying the first week in April - very soon after the expected Brexit chaos, so I am not sure if we should actually take a chance and leave the terminal. What is your take on this?
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The yotel looks pretty good, except that it's on the landside of the terminal, so we'd have to get through security to get back to the gate for our flight<<

AFAIK there are no hotels airside so you would have to go through security no matter what.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I saw that - and I looked at reviews which said it was easy and convenient to get back through to the gates. So - I booked us a twin room, and it looks like it's going to be perfect. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!