Gas or petrol station

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas or petrol station

This is our first trip (of hopefully many!) to Greece. Part of our trip includes driving from Athens to the Meteora on a Sunday afternoon/evening, and I suspect we'll have to stop to fill up the car at least once on the way. Are gas/petrol stations open 24 hours, and/or can you pay with a credit card at the pump? Also, will we have trouble since we'll be traveling on a Sunday? (Maybe this isn't an issue elsewhere, but where I live most gas stations don't open on Sundays!) Any information or tips would be appreciated -- thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I think you may have to use cash... I have read that US credit cards don't work in most European petrol pumps (because EU credit cards require a password). Stations should be open on Sundays. Where are you from ? Deep South USA?

Have you used the Michelin driving website? http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...ing_directions
-- it tells me it will be 454 KM = about 275 miles ... over 5 hours driving ask the car rental place what the capacity of the tank is, and ask his advice about availabiity of petrol stations. I would assume that Lamia would be logical place to refuel.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelerjan. No, I'm from NW USA, but a more rural part. Everything closes on Sundays here, which is fine if you know in advance.

I have used the Michelin guide (based on a hint from this board--thanks!), and I agree that Lamia seems like a good place to refuel. I *think* we could make it up there on one tank but, like you also noted, we won't know the fuel capacity of our car until we get it. We also like to do little side trips...so, y'know. We could end up driving a lot more than 450k.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Many - but not all - petrol stations are open on a Sunday but I wouldn't guarantee any 24 hour ones. Many are not self service but have someone who will come and fill you up - and in recent years most seem to accept credit cards. We drove between Delphi and Meteora last September and remember one big service station that might be open 24 hours. It was used as a coach stop and had a big cafe, toilet facilities etc. I can't remember exactly where exactly it was on the route - I'll try to find out - but I suspect you will pass it. Make sure you have a full tank when you leave and you should be OK.
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to bump this to the top, but I just checked in and wanted to say thank you to Maria_H. That is good to know! We may minimize the side trips we take and just drive straight up.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM

IMHO, the Greek publisher "Road Editions" prints the best & most accurate, bilingual street maps.
http://www.road.gr/road_en/index/default.htm

Maps can be ordered @ their website, no big deal for USA deliveries.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM

The cars we have hired in Europe have all taken diesel fuel which seems to have better fuel economy than gas/petrol. Make sure you check before you fill a diesel car with petrol
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know of any normal European car that can't go at least 500km on one tank.