Gas or Diesel car

Search

Gas or Diesel car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas or Diesel car

Three of us will be renting a car in Madrid and traveling through Northern Spain, France and Germany and returning to Madrid. Which would be the better option to rent, a gas powered car or a Diesel. It will be about a 6 week trip this fall.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 04:35 PM

Diesels are terrible for urban air - much more polluting than regular gas and some cities in Germany and soon Paris I believe will be banning diesal cars from city centers.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 04:51 PM

Prices for diesel vs. gas are often close to each other in Europe. Mileage, of course, is much better with diesel. I believe improvements in cars has led to reduced CO2 emissions with both. I have read that some large cities are trying to ban diesels, although that shouldn't affect you at this time. The concern is that diesels spew out cancer causing nitrogen dioxide that pollutes some larger European cities. The cost to fix the problem is one that may doom the diesel industry in Europe. For now, nearly half of all European cars are diesel, so fuel is readily available. You do need to be careful not to put regular fuel in a diesel and vice versa. It is easy to do, since, unlike the US, there is little difference in the pumps in some areas. Last fall, Hertz gave us a car that they said was gas. Fortunately, our first fuel stop was full service, and when we asked for regular unleaded, the attendant said we needed diesel.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Diesel has fallen out of popularity very fast in France. The percentage of diesel cars was 64% in 2014 and it is already down to 40% in 2018 as people get rid of diesel cars. Most rental cars in France used to be diesel, but for the last two or three years I have only been given cars that use "unleaded 95." Also the tax on diesel fuel has risen to be it just as expensive as normal gasoline.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 08:42 PM
mjs

Have rented cars five times over the last three years inFrance/Italy through Hertz and have gotten a diesel every time including a Jeep a few weeks ago in Florence. Maybe due to class of car? Also do not recall being given a choice.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:39 PM

You will be given a car of a certain class you have no choice in brand , model, or fuel.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Diesels are terrible for urban air - much more polluting than regular gas and some cities in Germany and soon Paris I believe will be banning diesal cars from city centers.
If you going to publish Greenwash propaganda please get it correct.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 12:53 AM

No matter what fuel you use for some cities in Germany you will need an Umweltplakette to drive into the centre. For France you will need a Crit'air sticker. No sticker will result in a fine, plus the rental company charges. SInce it is unlikely your rental car will have the necessary sticker for Germany (but may have one for France) you will need to be very careful, and do some research as to where exactly the enviroment zones are in any cities you may be visiting.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 01:38 AM

In terms of mileage and economy, diesel is by far the best option. I own a diesel car (I live in the BAsque Country) and its mileage is 45miles per gallon, being diesel gas 10% cheaper that standard gas.

In terms of pollution, you´ll get an Euro6 engine, the lowest pollutant diesel engine now, to my knowledge.
In terms of driving comfort, you won´t notice any difference at all.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Five years ago, diesel in France cost 10% less than gasoline, and got 10% better mileage than gasoline; combined, that's 21% less cost.

That said, I'm unaware of fuel costs this year; but that's easily googled by you.

If you're a greenie, however, no cost saving whatsoever could justify driving a diesel (all the better for the rest of us)
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 07:45 AM

To poliute or not pollute

We were all sold on the idea that diesel powered cars were great, but we now know that it was all a lie (thanks to VW, BMW, etc.). It seems there are no such thing as a "clean diesel".

Diesels are quickly falling out of favor, very few in the US, but are still available from most rental agencies in Europe. We've gotten a few gas powered rentals in Spain the last two years, but only diesels in France.

Madrid is looking to ban all diesel cars by 2025, with the Gran Via to be car free in 2019. Copenhagen plans to ban diesel cars by next year. Paris is going to ban all cars sometime in the near future. Barcelona is looking to ban all older diesel cars from the city center next year. Soon there will be none.

As far as milage goes, my Audi gets about 13 kms per liter on the highway, or nearly 800 kms/tank on a trip. The best I've gotten with a diesel powered Audi or VW is 1100 kms/tank. There's a difference, but soon it won't matter. Gasoline costs more because it has to be refined, diesel only goes through a couple of refining steps, so it should cost less.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 07:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Which would be the better option to rent, a gas powered car or a Diesel.<<

You wil have absolutely no choice so don't worry about it. You can book a class of car but there is no guarantee you will even get that class let alone a specific model or fuel type.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 08:18 AM

There is a dowenside to everything. The switch from diesel to petrol may lead to an increase in CO2 emissions.

CO2 emissions will increase for the first time in 14 years | This is Money

Personally, I like diesels because of their performance characteristics and because their better fuel consumption means tghey will go furter before refueling is required..However, my next car could well be petrol.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
>>Which would be the better option to rent, a gas powered car or a Diesel.<<

You wil have absolutely no choice so don't worry about it. You can book a class of car but there is no guarantee you will even get that class let alone a specific model or fuel type.
I have already said words to that effect. (post6)
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I have already said words to that effect. (post6)<<

I know but most seemed to have missed it or ignored it so I just emphasized it again -- and added that even the class of car is not guaranteed.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
No more diesel cars allowed in Paris starting in 2024. If you want to reject ecological responsibility, you can keep using diesel until then.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 01:00 PM

Hey OP, diesel vs unleaded is a hot topic here apparently O_o .Before people make claims they should def provide a link to their sources. Diesel engines have improved significantly over time but still have slightly higher omissions than regular engines that use unleaded.Diesel will probably be more economical while unleaded will be more conscious of the environment (at a still relatively low cost). Let your budget decide what you do. Also are you returning to Madrid cause of one way drop off?
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 08:35 AM

Maybe people should have to prove their statements about how much better gas mileage diesel cars have, also, because modern gas-powered cars get very good mileage and I don't think that assumption is that true anymore, either. I have a 12 yr old Honda Civic and it can get 40 MPG, for example (on the highway, anyway, in city I get about 35).
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
>>I have already said words to that effect. (post6)<<

I know but most seemed to have missed it or ignored it so I just emphasized it again -- and added that even the class of car is not guaranteed.
Shall I write again and then you and then me then you........ One other thought they could be up graded to a larger car too.
Seeing as the OP is in Spain the only traffic restrictions they will have to worry about are the following:

Barcelona - Access Regulations, a superblock ( supermanzanas) concept covering. Access only possible for residents with proper permit card.
- Gracia
- Santa Maria del Mar
- El Born

Register here.
Also Low Emission Zones. Started 1 December 2017 on high pollution days: from Monday to Friday from 07:00 - 20:00 from the day following the declaration of the high pollution until
the same day that the end of the period was declared
More details here.

Madrid.
The city has an overly complicated programme to reduce air pollution.
Odd/even licence plates days, some sort of low emission zone (LMZ), access regulation for residents called A.P.R.
To receive SMS alerts. In Spanish
Link to apps (in Spanish) for alerts on the various schemes.
LEZ
APR
The other restrictions will not affect car drivers.

Vitoria Gasteiz - Access Regulations. Once again a super block system.
Plan of area.

I will add this one But I doubt if the OP will be heading that way. Just to keep all of the Spanish traffic zone information in one post.
Palma in Mallorca
The historic centre has limited access. The area is called ACIRE
Website.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Christina
Maybe people should have to prove their statements about how much better gas mileage diesel cars have, also, because modern gas-powered cars get very good mileage and I don't think that assumption is that true anymore, either. I have a 12 yr old Honda Civic and it can get 40 MPG, for example (on the highway, anyway, in city I get about 35).
Is that UK or US gallons?
Maybe as we are talking about Europe you should tell us in L/100km.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -