Garmisch vs. Partenkirchen

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Patrick

Garmisch vs. Partenkirchen

Have not been to that part of Bavaria and had planned 5 nights there this June. Now it seems that I'm finding more and more to do there and would like to expand to a week stay, so am interested in an apartment. Who can tell me the difference between the locations of Garmisch and Partenkirchen? Are there equal numbers of restaurants in each? Is one better than the other? Can you really even tell where one starts and the other leaves off? I've looked at a map, but couldn't even tell then -- generally it is regarded as a single hyphenated town. Is that right?

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:22 PM
John

Patrick:

Good question! I feel that the Garmish side is more 'traditional' and has more of the tourist and resturants. But on the other hand one of the more traditional resturants, the Frauendorfer, is on the Partenkirchen side! I would describe it as you said " a hyphenated town". Garmish side is closer to the Zugspitz and points east, while Partenkirchen side is closer to Mittenwald, Seefeld and on down toward Innsbruck! If you have a car then it is a toss up on where to stay!
Have Fun!
JOHN

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Bob

You really cannot tell where one town stops and the other starts. The entire area is not that large so it really makes no difference where you stay.

We have enjoyed the HILLEPRANDT HOTEL in Garmisch. Rooms 1 or 2 are on the first level and open to nice patios into the backyard. The location of the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood but very close to downtown Garmisch area. Fax is 011-49-8821-74548.

Of the two areas, Garmisch has the nicest downtown area. We have also stayed at the POST HOTEL PARTENKIRCHEN and it too is very nice, but more hotel-like than the HILLEPRANDT. The restaurant in this hotel is beautiful and has good food if you are in the area.

Enjoy the trip. One of our favorite spots for over 30 years.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Patrick

Thanks for the information. The hotel information is fine, but I have been looking at www.drawbridgetoeurope.com which has some very nice one bedroom apartments which would all be less than $100 a night -- considerably less than most of the hotels and seemingly more comfortable. I need to talk with them and find out just what "walking distance to town" means. Although we plan to rent a car, I'd much prefer to leave the car parked and walk each evening to restaurants and entertainment. It sounds like we should opt for one of the apartments that are "walking distance" to Garmisch rather than to Partenkirchen.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Julie

The towns connect seamlessly but I would certainly no prefer Garmisch over Partenkirchen. We've stayed most often in the latter and found it very nice with plenty of good restaurants. For a splurge try the Reindl Grille at the Hotel Partenkirchenerhof and ask to be seated in their new wintergarten. Very nice and good food. The oft cited Gasthof Fruendorfer is quintessentially Bavarian Gemutlichet (sp?) complete with shared tables, voluminous helpings of kraut with everything and entertainers dancing and slapping their feet and their Leiderhosen. Wonderful and very inexpensive.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
flygirl

Hi Patrick

I was just there in September - but very briefly, really just to hike Partnachklamm Gorge. They are quite close, if not quite the same town.

I think June would be a great time to go, it was rather cold and quite rainy when I was there. I did luck out, a ten day trip to Germany only saw 2 full days of rain, but I suspect June would be less rainy or at least warmer. I actually couldn't see the tops of the mountains as I drove there. all enshrouded in fog. beautiful in its own way, but I was bummed that the 2 days of rain fell on the days I was hiking in the mountains! so I hope you are more lucky.