garmisch-partenkirchen

Dec 13th, 2000, 01:39 AM
adeeba

garmisch-partenkirchen

please can any one know any thing about garmisch-partenkirchen best hotels view what to see around best time to vist the town

Dec 13th, 2000, 02:45 AM
Paige

It sits right at the base of the Alps and is a beautiful little town. The best time of year to visit depends on what you like to do. In summer, there are many easily accessible hiking trails in the mountains. There are also many lifts and cable cars, so you can skip hiking and just go up for views and lunch at at hutte if you like. The highest peak in Germany, the Zugspitze, is nearby. Any time of the year you can take the cog wheel train and cable car up to the top for fantastic views. Another site not to miss is the Partnachklamm, an amazing gorge with a trail cut into the side so you can walk through. I've only been in the summer but you can probably also go in the winter. The city was the site of the 1930? Olympics so you can see the old ski jump, near Partnachklamm. That's sorta cool. In winter, there are many places to ski and whatever (I'm not a skiier).

Dec 13th, 2000, 07:17 AM
John

Hi Adeeba:

Its my favorite town in Germany! Paige gave a good overview of the town. I have gone in the Spring and the Winter. Both offer great variety. The town is also a great base for touring the Ludvig Castles, Omerammergau, and even Innsbruck. One of the fun resturants is the "Frauendorfer" in Partenkirchen. When are you going?
JOHN

Dec 13th, 2000, 12:17 PM
adeeba

thank you Paige and John my visit will be in summer with ashort visit to tirol region.

Dec 13th, 2000, 03:41 PM
kam

We stayed at the Post Hotel in Garmisch in September (a while ago). There was still snow at the top of the Zugspitz but it was very foggy so no view. The cog railroad was fun to take down.

Dec 13th, 2000, 08:41 PM
Michele

We hiked the gorge and it was great. Lots of families sunning and playing on the banks. Saw the Olympic stadium. There's a ski jump covered with some kind of plastic and little kids were "skiing" down it and jumping off. If you know how to ski, it might be fun to do. I think there was a ski rental booth, but I might be wrong about that. There was also a luge(?)ride that was fun. We loved the area. We stayed in a campground just outside of town. Took a drive into Switzerland, too. If you take the tram to the peak of the Zugspitz, bring very warm clothes.
Michele

Dec 13th, 2000, 09:13 PM
Paul J

Re: Zugspitze Aerial Car
A gentle suggestion. Make sure it is clear at the top when you go. Don't make the mistake we did. It was clear at the bottom but completely fogged in at the top. We couldn't see anything out the windows or from the observation deck.At $35 US per person an expensive error on our part....Paul J