Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place in Edinburgh to research family heritage - buy family crests?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 10:18 PM
Sam

Can anyone advice me where would be a good place to buy Scottish name merchandise? Or a good place to start researching my family history while in Edinburgh? I know that my family is originally from that area.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:06 PM
Gordon R

Hi Sam, <BR> <BR>No problem. Family crests can be found in any souvenier shop in the tourist areas of Edinburgh. Try the Royal Mile in particular. You can also buy clan tartans, history books etc. <BR> <BR>If you're more serious about tracing your family history, you need to get yourself along to the General Records Office for Scotland (GROS). They are located at New Register House, 3 West Register Street, Edinburgh EH1. This is at the eastern end of Princes St, just opposite the Balmoral hotel. Its advisable to phone ahead for general advice and to book a visit time (places are limited, and you have to pay a small fee for copies of birth/death certificates etc).

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:17 PM
Gordon R

Forgot to mention - the GROS website is at www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/ <BR> <BR>The phone number for genealogy enquiries is +44 (0)131 324 4433.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Elise

I'm going to be in Edinburgh in a few weeks and a friend just asked me to bring her back something. Apparently her grandmother bought her a doll approximately 25 years ago from Scotland. It was a small plastic doll wearing a kilt in the family tarten. Is this something I might still be able to find in Edinburgh? Any helpful hints on where I should start the search? Thanks.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Sheila

I fear it would be just as readily available today as then.

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 08:29 PM
Sam

to the top

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 11:38 PM
Sheila

Sam<BR><BR>The reason no-one's added anything to the original post from Gordon is because he's right on the button. What else would you like to know that you think is missing?