My fiancé and I are traveling to Italy for our honeymoon and will be spending the first four nights in the Italian Lake District. We are flying into Milan (get in around noon) and are traveling to the lake via public transportation (trains/buses/ferries).
Currently we are trying to decide between traveling to Lake Como (the town of Bellagio, Residence La Limonera) or Lake Garda (the town of Gargnano, Hotel du Lac). I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the two options.
We are medical students without a huge budget, so finding the right hotel (romantic, clean, good view but not too spend) has been a bit limiting, but I like both of the options I have found.
I am now torn between the two! We like good food, pretty walks and a bit of sight seeing.
I know that Bellagio is supposed to be one of the prettiest places in Europe, but I am a bit turned off by all of the reports of how touristy (particularly American-touristy) the area has become. I love the hotel I have found in Gargnano, and think the town looks quite cute, but I am afraid that we are missing out on Lake Como.
We would like to take day trips to different locations along with spending some time relaxing.
I would love any input on the atmosphere of the two areas along with the possibilities for day trips to other places.
Additionally if anyone has advice on great hotels or B&Bs under 150 Euros a night in the lake district, that would also be fabulous!
We are traveling the second week of May.
Thanks a bunch!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arezzo - how much time?
- 2 Easter Week in Italy
- 3 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 4 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 5 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 6 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 7 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 8 Which Aran Island??
- 9 New Years in France
- 10 Paris November 2017
- 11 Spain or Portugal
- 12 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 13 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 14 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 15 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 16 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 17 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 18 9 day trip to France
- 19 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 20 2 week May trip with kids
- 21 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 22 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 23 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 24 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 25 Airport Transfer