gardens in France

Mar 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

gardens in France

We are a group of 10 friends from Uruguay that love gardens, and we are going to Paris in June for the celebration of the 100 years of Bagatelle. We are going to stay 10 days in Paris and would like to make trips for the days, especially visiting gardens, we already have a van with driver for us from a company that I learn from the web that is making quatations for us. On a Monday we are going to visit Chartres and 3 chateaux of la Loire. Other days we are going to Versailles, Lhay les Roses, Courrances, we dont know how to convine them.
On the saturday I found that le chateaux Vaux le Vicomte has a candlelight visit, and a friend wants to go to some gardens in the north near Dieppe,Le Vasterival, Parc Floral des Moutiers, and the parc de Canon en Mezidon if we can make the 3 in the day and returning to Paris.
Please advise me of nice gardens near Paris, and if there is some way of visiting private gardens in Paris.
thaks P
Mar 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Don't miss Villandry castle in the Loire Valley, it is known for its gardens.
Mar 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Secret Gardens of Paris

well not really secret but rarely visited by any but locals.

The Hotel Dieu on Ile de la Cite, near Notre-Dame cathedral

Promenade Plantee
a 'strolling' garden created from a former railway viaduct - elevated viaduct and the garden runs for some miles along Ave Daumesnil near Bastille Opera.

Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil
former municipal greenhouses of Paris now hosting fine hothouse gardens. 3 ave de la Porte d'Auteuil, near metro station Porte d'Auteuil

Parc Andre Citroen
"edgy and new and one of the most inventive contemporary gardens in Europe" according to Paris tourist office description. recently created on site of former Citroen car plant
Mar 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Yes, definitely Villandry.

Visiting Vaux-le-Vicomte is a marvelous experience--the gardens and the chateau. I understand there is now shuttle service from the train station in Melun, a short trip from Paris.

I would also suggest the Bagatelle Gardens in the Bois de Boulogne. The Jardins de Bagatelle serves a very nice lunch on the terrace.
Mar 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM

A most unusual garden in Paris or anywhere is the Jardin Atlantique above the Montparnasse RR station. The entrance is behind the station on Rue Du Commandant Mouchette. Take the free standing elevator on the sidewalk. You can find more into at:

http://www.gardenvisit.com/ge/atla.htm

The website is chock full of information on gardens throughout the world. Have fun.
Mar 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM

I don't see Giverny on your list, and it should be there. I'll second Villandry.
Mar 13th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention Giverny, because some us have already been there in june, but some are going by train,
On the Loire day we are going to Chartres for the vitraux and then to Villandry, Chenonceaux and Chambord.
Anoyone knows about the gardens near Dieppe.
I am taking notes of the gardens in Paris, but please tell me of some more to visit for the day
Mar 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Medieval Garden at Cluny Museum

The 'only medieval garden' in Paris is on the grounds of the Cluny Museum, in the Latin Quarter.
The inspiration for the garden originally was a study of the 13 trees and 59 plants that are depicted in the museum's mega-famous tapestry the Lady and the Unicorn.
www.musee-moyenage.fr
Mar 14th, 2007, 06:23 AM

You must have reservations for Vastérival. Only groups are usually accepted. 10 might qualify, although the groups were bigger. But by calling from SF, we were able to be added to a group, which means we had to be there on a specific day at a specific hour. Things may have changed if the Princess is no longer in charge.

The gardens in Apremont s/ Allier are worth a visit.
Mar 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

When we are going to the Loire, we are stopping in Chartres, then go to Villandry, Chenonceaux and advise of another not so far from this with nice garden, because Chambord is a beatiful chateaux but with a parc not a garden,
What about Chaumont-sur -Loire, is the original garden worth the visit? because the festival I have seen photos and is very modern for our taste, and the other garden in the area that I found in a book of Jardins en France is Parc Floral de La Source, in Orleans.
thanks for answer me p
Mar 15th, 2007, 03:08 AM

hi, pilarica,

We went to chaumont one year before the garden festival started; the gardens themselves are a large park with lovely trees, but nomore than that.

the chateau was interesting inside but nothing special apart from the fact that every room was fulll of the most lovely silk flower arrangements - they were really wonderfully real.

If you look at www.loire-tourisme.com you will find a number of links to gardens on the loire, but if you do nothing else, go to Villandry.

regards, ann
Mar 15th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Villandry is probably the most famous Loire Valley chateau gardens and justifiably so. However, the city of Angers has beautiful gardens, particularly the Jardin des Plantes, and also the gardens in the old moat of the chateau in the town's historic district.
But what your group might find even more interesting is the large garden club over near the Parc Balzac and adjacent arboretum. The members each have allotment gardens but many of them are little show gardens, beautifully done, not merely patches planted up with rows of leeks and strawberry plots. The garden club is quite active and would probably love to meet with you and show you around.
Contact the Angers tourist office.

http://www.angers-tourisme.com/eng/index.html
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advise of Chaumont, so we dont loose time,
Angers I think is a little to far from Villandry that was our most south of the gardens, any coments on the garden in Orleans?
please send me more info
thaks p
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:46 AM

One of Paris's most popular gardens is the Parc Floral in the Bois de Vincennes:

www.parcfloraldeparis.com
Mar 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM

There is a lot of information online and that is free from Paris city halls regarding each arrondisement, if you can read French.

In particular, if you go to the mayor of Paris' website (www.paris.fr) there is an entire section on Parisian parks and gardens with maps, descriptions, walking tour maps, plus a completely calendar of gardening events for six months (expositions, walks, conferences, etc.). Go to "parcs et jardins" at the left side under "themes".

There are maps and itineraries for each arrondisement of descriptions of the parks called "sentiers-nature". These are sold at the Maison de la Nature at the Parc Floral de Paris for one euro each, but should be available at each mairie's office or the general Paris Tourist Office perhaps.
Mar 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM

I read through quickly and agree that Villandry is a MUST. As is Giverny, a totally different type of gardens, of course.

Regarding shuttle from the Melun station to Vaux le Vicomte -- we found last summer that is only on weekends. We took a taxi and had the chateau call us a taxi to get back to the staion -- paid 17 euro each way.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

we are going one day to Vasterival and Parc Floral de Moutiers, but we want one more, I have seen Bellevue, Les Forrieres Du Bosc and Parc Floral William Farcy, anyone can tell me where to go, we love flowers and roses, not anly a parc with trees.
Another question,
one the day that we are going to Versailles in the morning and to Lhay des Rose in the afterenoon do you know if Le Chateaux des Ferriers is worth the visit?
Question 3, Vielle Maison, any advise.
thanks p

Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM

Just to mention that at the entrance on the Tuileries garden (on the Plece de la Concorde side, not on the Louvre side), there's a shop belonging to whatever administration in charge of Paris gardens that sells garden-related stuff (books, guides, etc... and not solely about gardens within Paris). You might want to pay it a visit to find infos, if it's convenient for you.

By the way, I like the Andre Citroen park a lot, more precisely the "color-coded" gardens (blue garden, gold garden, etc..) and the part that has been planted in such a way that it would look like a real piece of countryside (wild plants and weeds, uneven paths under the trees, etc..) I'm not sure how it looks like outside of summer, but when I visited it for the first time last year, it became instantly my favorite garden in Paris (previously, it was the Buttes Chaumont). There's a large part of it that is just plain, flat, lawns, but I found the rest extremely pleasant.

I'm not very convinced about L'Hay-les-roses, since I find it to be quite out of the way for a garden that isn't, in my opinion, that extraordinary.

Just thought about it : you might want to see the "promenade plantee". Not a garden, but a former railroad bridge going from the Bastille to the east of Paris at roof level, and, as its name implies, planted with flowers, small trees, etc. One of my favorite walks in Paris.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM

Gerberoy should be in bloom"

http://tinyurl.com/yt37q2
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM

Perhaps a little further out, but the century old Jardin du Thabor in Rennes is worth a visit also, not only french landscaped park, but many flowers and plants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO