Reload this Page >

Galway to Dublin Driving Time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Bridget

Idea's on how much time we should allow driving from Galway to Dublin on a Thurs or Friday morning? I've read enough to see that we can't judge it by mileage alone! We'll be heading to the airport to our hotel for a Sat. flight. Thanks!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:51 AM
xaimi

Bridget <BR>If your really on aol. you might want to try the message board for aol members only. It's in the Travel Ireland message board area. It it just a great place for Ireland questions. Just sorry I'm not on aol anymore

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:09 AM
ALW

Off the top of my head, I don't remember, but I think you could probably look at a (driect route) bus schedule for a pretty good estimate.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:25 AM
clare

Last time I attemped this drive we left Galway late afternoon and ended up stopping in Athlone in the evening so stayed overnight (Athlone is a little over half way I think). I think this trip would have taken us around 5hours but we decided a break at Athlone would allow us to drive into Dublin first thing the next morning. If you're needing the name of the place we stayed at in Athlone I can dig it up for you (it was really nice) but otherwise that's about all I can remember - sorry!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:27 AM
janice

3 hours. That's what it took a friend and I last fall. We had no road problems, and no traffic (if you were going into Dublin, it could be a very different story) Bottom line we found on driving in Ireland - it takes at least twice as long as you think it will. Have a great time!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:44 AM
Cathy

Bridget <BR> <BR>Driving to Dublin from Galway could take anything over 3 hrs - I would avoid travelling on Fridays and Sundays. The N4 route into Dublin experiences delays at Enfield during peak rush hour times. See www.roadwatch.ie for further assistance on driving in Ireland and details on detours etc. If you are heading directly to the airport then branch off the N4 on to the N3 and come in that way, if you need any additional info' post <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:03 PM
Joe

Hi: <BR> <BR>I drove from Galway to Dublin in 2.5-3 hours in the fall of 1999 on a Friday evening. It was fine. It may have even been less (definitely NOT more than 3 hours).

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:13 PM
Me

<BR>I have just done exactly that route on Thursday a week ago. <BR>If you drive non-stop it will take you between 2.5 to 3 hours. <BR> <BR>Me <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 02:09 AM
Cathy

Joe, <BR> <BR>3 years has resulted in a huge increase in traffic on that route and there can be anything from 30 minutes to 2 hrs delay at Enfield on the N4 route. Enfield is only about 45 minutes or 1 hr from Dublin and yet it could take you 2 hrs or more on bad days <BR> <BR>Hope this clarifies matters

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Bridget

Thanks for the advice!