4 Adults in a Mercedes C180???

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:40 AM
bettyk

4 Adults in a Mercedes C180???

Two couples will be traveling in Europe next spring. In Germany, a full size car rented from Hertz is a Mercedes C180 1.8. We know that we will have to be careful about our luggage, but will four (4) 22" roll arounds and a couple of carryons fit in this car? Don't think this model is sold in the US.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:02 PM
Mercedes Guy

The C Class is sold in the U.S. While considered a mid size in the U. S. it is large by European standards. The number only indicates the engine size. The U.S. has the C240 and the C320. Both the sames body, differnet engines.
Check it out.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:10 PM
Geoff

Rented a brand new C180 last time I was in UK from Autoeurop. Great car to drive, but small trunk space. There were three of us. We could barely get our 3 roll arounds in the trunk and little else. Really doubt it would work for 4 people.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:30 PM
bettyk

Thanks for info. Guess we should look into a van. Had hoped to be able to conceal luggage while we are touring around, but we have to have room for 4 pieces at least.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Geoff

You might also consider renting a station wagon. Smaller than a van and easier to drive.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:39 PM
Diane

I think we had an Opal stationwagon in Italy - it was terrific and would easily accomodate 4 plus the luggage you are taking (hidden under a cover that goes from back of rear seat to liftback door. Plus it was diesel and got wonderful mileage (kilometerage?)

Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:01 PM
Gar

hi there,
try to rent a Mercedes A-class or somthing like a VW Sharan, lot of space for passengers and luggage.
have fun
Gar

Sep 4th, 2001, 04:44 AM
bettyk

Great ideas! Thanks.

Sep 4th, 2001, 06:13 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Betty, The Opel Omega is the best full size car and less expensive than the 180. We did 4 people in that in 1997 and got along fine. Check with Auto Europe or Kemwel, but they are actually the same company now.

Sep 4th, 2001, 07:11 AM
curt

You might also try to get a Volkswagen Passat, nice 4 door with lots of room. I own one and the trunk is enormous and more than enough room for 4 adults in great comfort and the luggage should fit as well. I don't know it the Passat is typically available at rental car outlets though, but it so it would be very good choice.

Sep 4th, 2001, 10:08 AM
bettyk

Thanks for all the info. I thought that someone might have experience in this area and I was right!