Search

Galway to Derry and in between??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:10 AM
mdv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galway to Derry and in between??

Can anyone suggest an interesting one or two night stop in between this drive?<BR><BR>TIA
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Ardfert

I have always been interested in the poetry of Willam Butler Yeats who is buried near the town of Sligo at Drumcliffe.If you ar interested you could see Glencar Waterfall,Knocknarea,Dooney,Innisfree,Lough Gill and many other places of interest.There is also a theatre in Sligo.There are plenty of golf courses too.

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I'd vote for the historical area south of Sligo (Collooney area which has cairns, castles, etc.), Sligo City itself, and Lough Erne (ogham stone, castles, churches, stone crosses, etc.)
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:53 PM

Two more choices for me:<BR><BR>Inland, the lake area of Fermanaugh is beautiful and receives minimal tourist attention. Lough Erne is dotted with islands that are filled with historical interest. I am a big fan of Glencar Waterfall if you happen to be driving by.<BR><BR>Donegal's southern coast is spectaclar and wild. One of my favorite areas. I could spend quite a while there moving around slowly. The Donegal coast in general is wonderful.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:40 PM

mdv,<BR><BR>You've certainly received some sound advice thus far, but if you're open to one more suggestion, then consider northern Mayo. <BR><BR>Mayo is a large county that is too often overlooked by travelers to Ireland. While it doesn't have the wide-range of amenities as, say, Galway or Kerry, it has historic attractions, stunning scenery, and elbow room to spare. In other words, most tourists' loss is your gain.<BR><BR>As for accommodations, you'll have a hard time finding a more distinctive place than Enniscoe House, located near Crossmolina. (See http://indigo.ie/~enniscoe/) Located on the shores of Lough Conn, Enniscoe is a heritage house that features six rooms, wonderful meals (so you needn't worry about the area's relative lack of quality restaurants), a walled garden, a small agricultural museum and genealogy centre, along with a delightful Jack Russell terrier named Spudsy (be sure to take a pre-dinner walk with this engaging pup who, by the way, belongs to Enniscoe's head cook).<BR><BR>In addition to the pleasures of staying at Enniscoe, be sure to make time for nearby Achill Island. With good weather on your side, a day trip to Achill may well be the most memorable time of your entire Irish holiday. There's a stunningly beautiful beach on the island, and driving around the island, with Atlantic views galore, is a real treat. <BR><BR>After two days at Enniscoe, you'll then be ready for your drive north to the walled city of Derry.<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM
mdv
Original Poster

Thanks all. I was considering Westport in County Mayo ( my friend in Derry recommended a stay there). Will also check Enniscoe. I am heading from Galway to Westport then somewhere in SW Donegal--Rossnalagh was suggested.Open to other suggestions...<BR> Thanks.<BR><BR><BR><BR>