Search

Galway advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galway advice

Hi! My two friends and I, all 22 years of age, are going to be staying in Dublin in the middle of September for a little longer than a week. We are interested in taking a day trip to Galway Bay because we want to see the beautiful Western coast of Ireland.

I checked the Irish rail schedule, and it seems as though we would be able to leave Dublin around 7am, arrive in Galway around 10am, and then take a return train to Dublin at 6pm. Mostly, we just want to see the coast, because we have been advised that the coast of Dublin, while beautiful, isn't nearly as picturesque as the west coast, and maybe do a little shopping. I am interested in knowing how far the train station is from the coast, but none of my travel books really list that information. We would stay in Galway, but our hotel in Dublin is already booked and paid for.
If anyone could just let me know what they think of this plan, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Galway advice: don't drink the water!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:02 AM

It's about a mile, but that would be of little use to you. It's about 10 miles before it gets good; 20 to very good; 30+ to superb.

Your basic information is correct: the west coast generally offers the best scenery.

Would your budget allow you to hire a car for a day?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Or, if you can spare more than a day, you might consider taking the train to Galway and then taking a bus and ferry to Inis Mor. You could spend a night on Inis Mor, there is a hostel there. Or there are hostels in Galway where you could spend the night before and/or the night after. In fact, there's a booth on the ground floor of the building that houses Kinlay House hostel where you can buy the bus and ferry tickets.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Padraig, since they're all 22, would they be able to rent a car? I think in the US you have to be at least 25.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Sorry, just noticed what you said about your hotel in Dublin being booked and paid for.

While it wouldn't be to the west coast, another thought might be the train/bus tour to the Antrim coast. I'll try to find a thread that had info on that and pull it up for you.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

lol, PalenQ - I thought I'd only hear such things about Mexico.

Is the water safe in most Ireland? (unless you refer to Jameson, the water of life...)
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Well it should be now. But i did just read a warning about some problems Galway had with their water and folks were advised not to drink it.

I assume it was a temporary problem and haven't heard a follow up.

Maybe Padraig can debunk this problem.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Yes, the water is safe elsewhere in Ireland. But there's a problem right now in Galway. I left there April 2nd and, at that time, they were saying the best case scenario was that it would take 6 months to fix. So, chances are, it will still be a problem when you're in Ireland.

I can't find that thread. But you might want to check out www.railtoursireland.com They have several day trips from Dublin that might interest you.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM

There is still a pollution problem in Galway; being told to boil all water. Also some demos in Limerick; see
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0425/limerick.html?rss

Many in rural areas draw drinking water from wells, natural springs, rather than use the mains supply. we each have a favoured source....
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM

The problem in Galway continues, but should not be a problem for visitors especially if they prefer Jameson's. All accommodation and food businesses provide bottled water that is safe.

In fact, tap water might now be safe, but it has not been declared to be.

Back to the original question: withoutwings, are you solely dependent on public transport?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, yes we are solely dependent upon public transport. None of us can drive a manual vehicle, let alone on the left side of the road. Lol - I can barely feed myself cereal with my left hand, let alone shift a car. I feel it is best for all involved, us and the people of Ireland, if we stay pretty far from the driver's seat of a car. I'm okay with the idea of taxis - just not too many, because from what I hear, it's rather pricey.
I am willing to look into Antrim as an alternative day trip option - all the prettiest pictures I've seen were of Antrim, and if I'm not mistaken, that's where the Giant's Causeway is, and I'd LOVE to see that.
I really appreciate the tip on the water - thanks so much!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM

From Dublin, you could catch the Paddywagon Tour up to Derry and the Antrim Coast, http://www.paddywagontours.com/viewt...&year=2007. That would be more feasible than trying to get to the west coast for a day.

Slan Beo,

Bit