Galicia-Asturias or the Basque Country?

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galicia-Asturias or the Basque Country?

We are in the early stages of planning a 4th trip to Spain, either in the fall or next spring. We will spend a couple of days in Madrid, plus a week or so in the region of Cadiz. And Salamanca is definitely on our list. We also want to visit northern Spain, and are undecided between Galicia and the Basque Country. We have been to Viana do Castelo in Portugal, Tui, Baiona, SdC, and have driven from there to Taramundi and Ribadasella, then through the Picos to Leon. (Thanks Maribel; we made good use of the suggestions you made several years ago.)

We very much liked the area and would like to see more. We like small towns, historical sights, and natural beauty. (We are not interested in beaches as far as taking the sun goes; I gave up bathing suits in public long ago.) We would appreciate any suggestions Fodorites might have. We are 67 and 71 and in good health, enjoy walking, etc. But I quail at walking along cliffsides! My husband's Spanish is very good; mine is so-so, but will improve before we go. We like small family hotels are are not really interested in luxury. We would prefer to use public transportation where possible, but don't mind renting a car, as long as we do not have to drive in large cities.

On the other hand, we have not visited the Basque Country. And your guides do tempt us, Maribel! Since they are so complete, I guess what I am really asking here is for enough information on areas we have not visited in and around Galicia so that we can make a good decision.

As always, many thanks.

Carol
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM

Public transport and Galicia do not mix so well.
I live an interesting wine growing area called the Ribeira Sacrá. However to get from SdC you can get two buses day, these pass along the northern edge to Monforte de Lemos. However to explore the region you have to have a car as there is no regular public transport other that the school buses.
An alternative is going to the city of Ourense. You can get a train that runs along the least interesting part of the Cañons de Sil. The countryside is love though. However there are only one or two trains a day so may be this rules this sort of trip out too.
I would also suggest another area of O Coural but again there are no real bus services.

If only you were to use that car the world is your oyster,,,well ok Galicia is.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM

Should add all accommodation establishments that are official and inspected by the government are in www.turgalicia.es. There are no reviews here but we are all up to standards set by Galicia. For a listing website with reviews read www.toprural.com. This is not an official website, but it will have listed reviews if the establishment pays for a listing.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:48 AM

Galicia-Asturias or the Basque Country? That is a tough one! I live in the Basque Country, but spend 1/3 of the year in Galicia and my wife is from Asturias! I love all 3 areas.

Looking at what you've done before hand, you've seen quite a bit of Galicia and Asturias and their old world charm. The Basque Country has some exciting first class cities (Bilbao and San Sebastian), and also traditional Basque Villages, both coastal and in the mountains. You also have the Rioja wine region as well. If you've been to Spain three times already and haven't been to this part yet, I'd say try it! This is what makes Spain so amazing, the diversity of each region.

Here's a link of the whole northern coast, green spain:
http://www.greenspain.org/

Good luck and have fun!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, ribeirasacra and FrescoTours. Good information and good links. We really appreciate it!
Carol
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM

My favorite cities in Spain are Seville and San Sebastian, so I vote for San Sebastian/Donostia.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Since you have been to parts of Galicia, you should go to the Basque Country.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM

how about Cantabria and Basque Country?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Agree with Aduchamp,it's time to Basque (4th trip)
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM

San Sebastian is magical--go there.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! We will probably travel to the Basque Country this time. After reading more on the area, I am sure we will be asking lots of new questions.
Carol
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Check out Mark Kurlansky's book: The Basque history of the World for lots of background.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:47 AM

So much info on the web! Here are some great brochures that you can download to get you started! Enjoy the Basque Country!

http://www.turismoa.euskadi.net/s11-96369/en/
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 04:16 AM

We did a tour of Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia a couple of years ago and are opting for Basque country this year so I'll be following the info you get here closely. We've opted to stay in Getaria and are getting very excited about our upcoming trip in June.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM

If in the Basque Country, you may want to take a look at my blog on the area from a local´s point of view, mugalari.wordpress.com.
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:17 AM

JulieVikmanis: Did you take the Basque trip and if so, did you post a report? (Just dreaming for next year..)

Many thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:38 AM

Tomorrow is our last day in the Basque area, before flying home to the USA. I read raves about San Sebastian, but I was quite surprised at how big this city is. Of course, this is my own personal bias, but we preferred a smaller city. We had 4 nights in SS, but left after two nights to return to St. Jean de Luz, just up the coast and across the border into France.

I did not do my homework thoroughly enough. SS seems to be a marvelous place and I can see why everyone likes it, but it was too big and busy for our quest for relaxation.

EK
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Lots of excellent small seaside villages on the scenic coastline between the two great and very unlike cities San Sebastián and Bilbao. Getaria, Zumaya, Mutriku, Lekeitio etc, I'm quite sure you would love them all.

Here's mikelg's (above) quite alluring introduction to Lekeitio: http://mugalari.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/lekeitio/

Had the meal of my life in one of the restaurants in the harbour of Getaria back in 1996.
http://www.spain.info/no/ven/otros-d...s/getaria.html
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/saia...hotela.en.html

Have been in the Basque country almost evert year since the late 80's, and I'm almost ashamed to say I've never visited Galicia. Heard so many great things about the region, and have promised myself to go in the near future.
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM

... and for historical sites, you should visit the town of Gernika/Guernica (Picasso's painting) close to Bilbao. Destructed by German bombers on the 26th of April 1937 during the Spanish Civil War. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernica_(painting)
Picasso and Guernica: http://www.pbs.org/treasuresofthewor...n_guerfrm.html

When in Madrid, go and see the painting at the second floor of the Reina Sofía art museum. The exposition completely blew my mind away two years ago. Paintings, films, photos, posters, all more or less dealing with two of the most salient civilizational breakdowns of the past century, the Spanish Civil war and the subsequent WWII.

Enrique Morente - one of the finest flamenco voices of our times - sang in front of Guernica in Reina Sofía the day before surgery that tragically ended his life half a year ago. Here in a previous performance at Reina Sofía in the Guernica room, releasing his penúltimo album, Pablo (Picasso) de Málaga (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlW3JQXMH8

You might want to visit the Museo de la Paz in Guernica: http://www.museodelapaz.org/