Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gaeta? Anyone have insight on staying there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
We are traveling to Italy in June 2020 (2 middle aged adults with 2 young kids). We are in Rome for 7 nights and Capri for 6 nights. We have 2 days in-between and my husband found Gaeta. We like comfort, views and water features (ocean, sea, pools) and thought we might rent a car in Rome and drive to Capri with a stop in Gaeta.
I would love to read about any experiences you might have had there or heard about. We are considering a hotel on the coast.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Bumping-
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:28 AM

One of the best beach hotels is the Il Ninfeo. But did you choose Gaeta because of the medieval city center and fortress or because of the beaches.
Another soluton might be a catamaran ride from Anzio (Rome) to either Ponza Island or Ventotene Island and from there by catamaran to Naples.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:01 AM

Driving to Capri? Even if they let you do it I'm wondering:
  • what would you do with a car in Capri?
  • what are you going to do if there is a ZTL in Gaeta? Ask your hotel about this matter, but make clear you are not able to recognize the ZTL signage.
Safe travels.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:19 AM

I agree about having a car in Capri. Why?

You can take a train from Rome to Gaeta in under an hour and a half. I haven't overnighted in Gaeta but have been there a couple of times and enjoyed the town and the medieval center and fortress as well as the beach.

You can easily get from Gaeta to Capri by train and ferry or train and hydrofoil.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:24 PM

A car in Capri is not a preference or an availability of public transit in June. You are NOT ALLOWED to bring your car to Capri as a non-resident during that time of the year. https://www.capri.com/en/getting-around
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Lol, no not driving in Capri. We are driving from Rome to Naples. I might have written it but I am not so dumb to try it. Thanks for the helpful advice however.

Last edited by Bougainvillea; Feb 22nd, 2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
One of the best beach hotels is the Il Ninfeo. But did you choose Gaeta because of the medieval city center and fortress or because of the beaches.
Another soluton might be a catamaran ride from Anzio (Rome) to either Ponza Island or Ventotene Island and from there by catamaran to Naples.
We chose Gaeta because I really wanted some down time between Rome and hiking in Capri. The hotel we picked appears to be pretty relaxing (Rocco), even though it has a lot of stairs.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 06:57 AM

Grand Hotel Le Rocce is just 200 metres from Hotel Ninfeo that I suggested. As the name says, it's situated on a rock above the beaches of the hotels Summit and Ninfeo.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 07:21 AM

How about Sperlonga? We did a day trip to Gaeta from there and enjoyed Gaeta. But we LOVED Sperlonga. Stayed in the old town (airbnb apartment) overlooking one of the largest stretches of sand beach we have enjoyed in Italy. Very quiet old town with some extremely friendly people. We know that Sperlonga gets a lot of visitors from Rome in summer and probably week-ends in June, but we were there for several 80 degree fall days and had miles of beach to ourselves. ×
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Whitehall for the suggestion. I was having trouble finding a hotel that had the low priced luxury that I was seeking. We will drive over to Sperlonga to check it out.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Grand Hotel Le Rocce is just 200 metres from Hotel Ninfeo that I suggested. As the name says, it's situated on a rock above the beaches of the hotels Summit and Ninfeo.
Hi Neckervd, The Hotel Ninfeo was booked already. It looks like a cool place.