Fussen to Interlaken via Innsbruck?

Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Fussen to Interlaken via Innsbruck?

I am travelling by car. After spending 2 nights in Rothenburg and 1 night Fussen, my next stop is Interlaken\Lauterbrunnen. The question is - should I stop for 1-2 hrs in Innsbruck to get a feel for the city and do some touristy things or go directly to Interlaken where I will be spending the next 3 nights? I have heard that the route itself is very scenic as well. Thanks.
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:28 AM

It would be a big detour and I don't think it is worth it. Better stop in Lucerne for a couple of hours. (or in St. Gallen, Appenzell, Rapperswil ... there are so many places on your direct driving route!
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will skip Innsbruck and stop in Lucern instead. We are thinking of staying in Lauterbrannen instead of Interlaken. Any suggestions?
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Lauterbrunnen certainly is closer than Interlaken to the various mountains and tourist centers you may wish to visit. I was quite satisfied with The Hotel Silberstein, a short walk from the RR station and the finbular station on your way to Muerren-Schilthorn
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I drove from Lauterbrunnen to Fuessen via the Stubenpass, Klausenpass, Lidau,Oberstaufen, Hindelang, Weissenbach, Reutte. Very scenic, but not something you want to do if you want to drive that route before May.
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Treplow, do you recommend not driving at all or just take a different route? Thanks.
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM

I need to correct treplow's spelling

Hotel Silberhorn

The driving route goes via Sustenpass, Klausenpass, Lindau etc.

trevi34, the passes are closed until early June due to snow. The route via Luzern is open all year round.
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Would I still need an International Driving Permit passing through Austria when going to Lucern from Fuessen?
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Only if you rent your car in Austria. Sorry about the bum steer about the passes. Although they show on my ADAC Atlas as being opened starting in May, I am sure Ingo is correct because of the "century" amount of snow this year. Ther route via Luzern is also nice.