Reload this Page >

funnel & coffee filters?

Search

funnel & coffee filters?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 07:18 AM
isabella

funnel & coffee filters?

Greetings: Read an old post thanking someone for the advice about funnels and coffee filters? We will be in Turkey for a month and are coffeeholics! What are they talking about? First thing in the morning we really enjoy a cup of coffee (before we are presentable to the rest of the world) and this sound doable! thanks in advance....

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:09 AM
lisa

There are lightweight plastic cone funnels that can be placed on top of a coffee cup or mug, filled with a filter and coffee, and if you pour boiling water through it it's just a like a mini-drip coffeemaker. They're very inexpensive and handy (even for making a single cup at home). An example of one of these is at http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=167159 <BR>You would just need to bring your own filters and ground coffee in addition to the cone funnel. Or, you can buy filters that are pre-filled with ground coffee -- here is one example: <BR> <BR>http://www.starbucks.com/shop/produc...d+Filter+Packs <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Ron

If you are going for a month, I do imagine you will want access to what I usually see referred to as "American" coffee. However, don't miss out on trying turkish coffee as well. On a trip to Greece, where the coffee is similar to what you will find in Turkey,(my appologies to the Greeks and Turks out there) I was able to find restaurants and cafes that would serve "filter coffee" but also enjoyed the occasional local brew. <BR> <BR>As a side, the one thing I miss most with regard to travel and coffee is the wonderful American tradition in most restaurants of free coffee refills. I have to keep reminding myself when I am in Europe that no-one is going to come around and refill my cup or if they do, I am going to pay for it.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 12:31 PM
pam

If you have a Cost Plus/World Market or Whole Foods Market nearby, I THINK I have seen these coffee funnel/filter things both places.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 12:38 PM
pam

www.melitta.com has them for $5.99; look under 'manual coffee makers'

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Q.P.

I'm so tickled that my bit of advice about this is spreading across the forum! After all the great ideas I've picked up here, it's so satisfying to see this little idea catch on <BR> <BR> As for where to find these Melita brand plastic cone filter-holders, I got mine at Kroger and I've seen them in other supermarkets like Safeway and Jewel. (Often you have to buy a cheap mug that comes with it, so that it winds up costing $5 or $6.) Usually I grind some beans just before the trip and double-bag them, along with one of those little plastic measuring spoons and a stack of filters (you'll want the Number 2 size of filter). The whole kit hardly weighs anything, and I can indulge in my favorite coffee the whole trip, and, with a kettle in the room, at odd hours. <BR> <BR>Q.P.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Danna

I wish I had known this before our last trip. Could have carried any funnel from our drawer, brought filters and NOT had Nescafe. It's a great tip! Greek and Turkish coffee sounds great too. Have Fun!