Funicular to Brunate

Jun 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Funicular to Brunate

We will have 2 1/2 days in Lake Como in September. Which would be the best choice: the funicular to Brunate or the lift to Pigra. We won't have time to do both. We are staying in Cadenabbia, but thought about stopping in Como for lunch on the way from Milan. Thanks for your help.
Jun 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM

I'd pick the cable car to Pigra over the funicular to Brunate. More dramatic views of the lake from Pigra IMO, and I wouldn't want to get side-tracked in Como if you only have 2.5 days in the area.
Jun 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Frankly I would not bother with either but Brunate may fit in better with you travel plans but the problem will be what do you do with your luggage. Which hotel are you staying at? You may be able to make an arrangement through them to get a hotel in Como to hold your luggage for a couple of hours or so as there is no left luggage depository at either of the stations in Como.

A solution could be as follows -
1. Take train from Milano Stazione Nord Carorna to Como Lago.
2. Walk along the lake on the right side as you exit from the station. After about 300 yards you will find the Hotel Marcos. They have an excellent restaurant in front of the hotel. Have lunch there and ask them if they can hold your bags. The are a friendly family run hotel so there should not be a problem - tip the waiter well!
3. In the square next to the hotel is the station of the Brunate funicular. There is not much to see in Brunate apart from the funicular so you will not need to leave your bags for much more than an hour or so.
4. Return the direction you came following the lake and after 500 yards you will arrive at the pier with the hydrofoil to Cadenabbia.
Jun 25th, 2010, 03:26 AM

If you decide Pigra, then this will help..

http://lakecomoapartment.wordpress.c...running-times/

Pigra and Brunate both have stunning views...
Jun 25th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned that we will have a rental car, so luggage shouldn't be a problem. Nevertheless, I do appreciate all the advice. We will probably do the Pigra lift. We have been to Lake Como one other time, so we may have to the time to do the lift this visit.
Jun 9th, 2012, 03:50 AM

The blog above has moved; here's a newer post about the Pigra cable car
http://lakecomotraveltips.wordpress....ned-june-2011/