Search

Fun in Geneva?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun in Geneva?

Any tips for fun on a two-week business trip in Geneva? Anything interesting for the under-20 crowd? Also, are there any nice, cheap place to eat outside of the old city?
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:40 AM

Well, if you're looking for bars, when I was back a year ago the same bars were around as had been when I lived there a few years ago. Here are the ones I remember as always being popular that were still packed on a (fairly) recent visit:<BR><BR>* My favorite: Le Baroque - An upscale place where beautiful people go to see and be seen (and people like me can sneak in to watch them!) - I imagine it gets its name from its decor, which is almost overwhelming - but fun. It's in Place de la Fusterie right downtown. <BR><BR>* My other favorite: La Cloche - Doesn't look like much, and easy to pass by since it's down a narrow entrance and stairway, but it's always packed with locals (late). In the old town on Rue Etienne-Dumont.<BR><BR>* Flannagan's Irish Pub is always packed with expats (again, late) - also in the old town on Rue du Cheval Blanc. Drinking upstairs and dancing downstairs.<BR><BR>Just around the corner from Flannagan's is Shakers, a dance club with a decor as declasse as its name. On our visit, we made the mistake of going before about 11 p.m., and when it's not packed, it looks really horrible. By the time it's jammed with people, you can't really tell, and it's fun.<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:42 AM

I forgot to mention that there are guides (magazines) available once you get to town that will have listings that rate the best new &amp; hot bars &amp; clubs for more updated info.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:47 AM

Hello lukasl,<BR><BR>I hope you don't mind if I have some suggestions that will take you outside of Geneva. I've spent some time in &amp; around Montreux, about 1.30 hours from Geneva, and my suggestions are based on my experiences there.<BR><BR>Spend a morning walking along the 11km flowered lakeside promenade from Clarens to Villeneuve, passing the Chateau de Chillon between Territet and Villeneuve. Stop in two or three of the lakeside cafes enroute to enjoy wine, coffee, and the view!<BR><BR>Spend the morning in Vevey hunting down the antiques shops in the old town. Then have lunch at the Hostellerie de Geneve on the Pl. Marche. <BR><BR>Take the train from Vevey to Chexbres, then spend a morning walking the vineyards down to the lake, hitting Rivaz &amp; St. Saphorin. For lunch, find the Auberge du Rivaz (in Rivaz . . . ) with a terrace lake view or see if any of the cellars are having a cheese/wine tasting. <BR><BR>Cully (esp. the Auberge du Raisin) and Lutry's well-posted tour of historical buildings are worth a trip as well. <BR><BR>Spend a day in the mountains, taking the train to the resort of Gstaad. On the way back, stop at Chateaux d'Oex or at Glion. If you stop in Glion, have a snack at the Hotel Victoria with its panoramic views of the lake, then walk the rest of the way down to Montreux on a stair-step path through the forest (or take the train or the funicular to Territet). <BR><BR>Spend an afternoon in the medieval village of Gruyeres, making sure to sample the berries in creme-double. <BR><BR>Spend an afteroon in Nyon at the Roman museum and the Caesar's columns nearby. <BR><BR>Spend a morning walking up to Montreux's old city &amp; the museum &amp; the old church. Fantastic views from the old church. Have lunch at the restaurant at the Hotel/Restaurant du Pont on rue du Pont. <BR><BR>Here are the websites: <BR>www.montreux.ch (find their picture gallery) <BR>www.vevey.ch <BR>www.lake-geneva-region.ch <BR>www.gruyeres.ch <BR>www.nyon.ch <BR>www. lutry.ch <BR>www.lavaux.ch/sentier2.htm<BR>www.hospvd.ch/public/eccmid/lavaux.html <BR><BR>My personal travel journal (w/photos) of Montreux<BR>www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=7825<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>s<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Take the train to Vevey (1 hour) for the early morning Saturday open air market in the town square (about 5 mins. walk from the train station) right on the lake.<BR><BR>Very fun, very colorful, great food, more for locals than tourists. If you happen to be there July/early August there is also a wine tasting (Marche Folklorique) that goes on, buy the glass and get it filled as many times as you like. Arrive early, the market opens before 9AM and goes only until about Noon.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Bars<BR>*Usine (near city centre- Rhone river). Young crowd, big, multi-level space. Live music, open late.<BR><BR>*Fleur de Lys/Ferblanterie/Caf&eacute; Sud<BR>Three good bars on the rue Ecole de Medecine in Plainpalais<BR><BR>Restaurants<BR>*Feuille de Banane (rue de Carouge). Cheap Thai food.<BR><BR>*Pizzeria Italia (4 bd des Philosophes)<BR>Excellent pasta/pizza, friendly atmosphere.<BR><BR>There are many good bars and restaurants along bd Georges-Favon ...