Full board or Half board?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've traveled in Europe a lot, but am running into some terms I'm not familiar with while researching my trip for Italy. What is Full board/pension vs. half board/pension? Is it the meals, the breakfast, or something like that?
Thanks for any assistance!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Half board is two meals a day, usually breakfast and dinner. Full board is all 3, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Unless I'm in an area where dining options are slim pickins, I try to avoid half or full board. Part of the fun of traveling is to try different restaurants, IMO.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:38 PM

If you're staying in a Bed & Breakfast, half board would normally be lunch and full board would be all three meals. Mike
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Having just returned from Italy and staying in several &B's (agriturismos in Italy) half board means as first respondent said. breakfast and dinner. Full board consists of all three meals. (We liked not having to go out hunting for a good restaurant afteer a long day of sightseeing and the meals we were served were quite good and substantial. h
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Half board is breakfast and one other meal. The other meal will vary: sometimes only dinner is offered, sometimes only lunch, and sometimes you have a choice. Full board is all three meals. In high season some resort hotels only offer half or full board---you're obligated to pay the full rate even if you don't plan to eat there.

I actually like full or half board under some circumstances, and I have never ended up eating bad food as a result. And that's saying something, as I'm very picky when it comes to food.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's response. I thought it was something like that, but as I plan for my trip to Italy - I've noticed some B&B's say "half board required", etc. - so I wasn't sure what I was signing up for.

I think I'll avoid ANY board (except the usual breakfast included deal). I usually leave my hotel in the morning and don't come back until it's time for bed. And I enjoy ducking into neat restaurants that I may find along the way, as the urge hits me.

Thanks again!