Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Stanstead Airport to Bath- what's worth stopping for?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recieved such good advice for my drive to Plymouth I thought I'd try again. Does anyone know about the drive from Saffron Walden (near Stanstead Airport) to Bath? Any interesting places we should stop along the way? Our interests are history and architecture.....It will be a one day trip (We can leave early morning so that we can reach Bath before dark. Any suggestions would be much appreciated..thanks elli
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Your drive will be in a more congested area than Bath to Plymouth and the M25 can be a time killer. If you haven't been, Windsor would be the best choice.

Another choice would be thru Marlborough to Avebury. I've only driven thru Marlborough on the way to Avebury and Cirencester but it looked to be one of those towns that would be great for a walk around.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, J, that's good to know..we'll allow for more time and will give Windsor a look round.We leave for England on Tue..so your quick reply came in the nick of time! many thanks..elli
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Ellij - If you do the Windsor - Marlborough - Avebury route, other places of interest en route further west (near Chippenham) are Lacock and Castle Combe.

LACOCK is a National Trust village often used in period dramas.

CASTLE COMBE has been voted the most picturesque village in England in a recent magazine poll. It's certainly one of them IMO ...

Both are a delight.

Further south of this route is Stonehenge if you wanted to include a visit there.

If you do this route via Windsor, avoid the M25 during rush hour at all costs.

-----

An alternative route north of the M4 motorway could include Oxford and some of the southern Cotswold villages, e.g. Burford, Bibury, Cirencester, Tetbury ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, I'm glad to have the alternate route if the roads are jammed. I hadn't known about Castle Combe and will give that one a look for sure. We leave tomorrow and the closer it gets the more appreciative I am of all the suggestions you and others have made in helping us with our plans..MANY THANKS AGAIN..elli