Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dover to Northern Wales to Bath in 6 days?

Sep 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

An old acquaintance of mine is in Paris now and leaving for England tomorrow, arriving late morning with his son who's going to Oxford this fall. He just sent me an email (talk about waiting until the last minute!) asking me for ideas on traveling from Dover up to the northern part of the national park in Wales and back, ending up in Bath for a night before heading to Oxford.

Been to England a few times, never been to Wales, have no idea what is possible. He's mainly interested in roaming around in pleasant rural areas and enjoying the scenery. He has 6 days, beginning tomorrow.Obviously, he'll be renting a car.

Any ideas for me to throw back at him?

TIA
Sep 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM

OK -- Why Dover? Dover to say Conwy, to Bath to Oxford is easily 650 miles/14-15 hours of straight driving by the most direct/less scenic routes.

Why not fly to Bristol, collect a car, pop over to Bath for 2 days, then up to Wales for 3 days, and spend a day/night down to Oxford.

Or better yet - take the train to London, then train to Manchester or Chester (or fly CDG to MAN), collect a car and tour N Wales > Bath > Oxford.

If Dropping Dover is not possible -- it will be a long slog. I'd recommend he head to Bath first.(Dover Castle is magnificent --but it will take 1/2 a day by itself.
Sep 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

I assume he's taking a boat to Dover. Anyway, he's asleep in Paris now, no doubt, and I'll be asleep when he leaves for Dover tomorrow, so I assume no way to change that part of the plan at the moment.

Thanks a lot, though.

Assuming I can get him to takes the train to London, then Manchester, any ideas of a scenic route to/through Wales and back? I'm checking a map, but not having been anywhere north of Leeds myself, hard to say what's scenic and what's not.
Sep 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM

I imagine he wants to get to Snowdonia National Park (does he intend to hike?) so not so necessary to look for a scenic route.
http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/home

BTW, Leeds is quite a bit further North
Sep 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM

A ferry to get to North Wales doesn't make a lot of sense unless visiting Dover Castle is on his 'must' list. In fact - traveling from Paris to England by ferry doesn't make that much sense unless he wants to "do" a ferry trip and that is part of the 'fun'. Maybe he has some sites enroute he has decided to visit and he needs to drive through southern England to see them.

No need for a 'scenic route' from Manchester - heading towards Wales will naturally take him through Chester and then into Wales. It is scenic.