From Scotland to English Countryside

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our plans recently changed to take the West Highland Train trip and then a weekend on Skye. Any recommendations for charming lodging? and then we'll have a day of train travel left on our pass and want to spend 1 or 2 nights close to London but in the countryside. Where would you go?
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Can you tell us what you think of as charming and what your budget is, please?
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Our budget is no more than 110 GBP and would like something with nice interiors and out in the countryside.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Sorry. I should have clarified that I've found a couple of bed and breakfasts but they are all around Portree and we were hoping to find a country inn or old lodge, etc. away from town. You all gave us wonderful info on Italy and then we made a sudden decision to go to Skye after reading "Clean Breaks" (great book by the way, and we're storing all the info on Italy for next trip)so this is rather last minute and I'll appreciate any and all suggestions. We're thinking that last day near London by be spent near Henley-on-the-Thames?
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM

For a start try Flodigarry Country House. It's farther north on the Trotternish peninsula but a beautiful setting. Their website is www.flodigarry.co.uk

Closer to Portree but maybe not far enough out for you is Viewfield House www.viewfieldhouse.com or Skeabost House Hotel www.skeabostcountryhouse.com. Although I haven't stayed at either, they both look interesting but not sure about their price range.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just time for a quick question - will be back later w/ maybe a suggestion or two.

But - How are you planning on getting around on Skye and to/from a rural inn if you are taking the train/ferry?

Also - getting from Mallaig to someplace like Henley in one day - even on trains -- well it would be a very VERY long day.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

From either Mallaig or Kyle of lochalsh it will take over 11 hours on the train. Then more to where ever you plan on staying.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

We are taking overnight trains to and from London. We've been told we can then rent a car at Mallaig and ferry to the Isle of Skye. Is this correct? We arrive in Mallaig at 1:30 p.m. so we'll have all afternoon to get somewhere. We arrive back the next Monday early in the a.m. We really don't want to hang out in London that day and need somewhere to go that has easy access back into the city. Thanks for helping!
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM

"<i>We really don't want to hang out in London that day and need somewhere to go that has easy access back into the city.</i>"

So let me get this straight - you are taking the sleeper from Scotland to London, then want to take a train somewhere else outside of London for the night. Well - if you want to go to Henley or someplace like that you will have to move from one station to another. The sleeper arrives at Euston station. Henley trains leave from Paddington. If you decide to go to some other place - it could be from any of a number of other London stations.

As for car hire for Skye -- Not at Mallaig but on Skye.

http://www.skyecarhire.co.uk/skye_car_hire.html

But you are dealing w/ really tiny places - there is no car hire depot. You'll have to arrange to have a car delivered to you at Armadale, (or farther like Broadford, etc) Mallaig isn't a "town" - just a small village.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM

Wanted to add - even if you could rent in Mallaig, it wouldn't make much sense since you'd have to pay to take the car on the ferry both ways. By going to Skye as foot passengers and hiring a car there you'll save that extra cost.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM

My favorite places to stay on skye would be:

Isle Oronsay Hotel in the south not far away from where the ferry arrives. http://www.eilean-iarmain.co.uk

Viewfield House is very nice too. Although in Portree it is out of the village centre and is in its own grounds.

Not so keen on Skeabost now it is no longer in private ownership.

The accomodation at the Three Chimneys is meant to be good too. http://www.threechimneys.co.uk/

and the sleeper to London is a lovely ride!
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I just found out this evening that when my husband got the ticket reservation it ended up being one day later than we had orginally planned so that gives us two nights in the English countryside. We just have to have time to get back for our Eurostar train by noon.

I'll try Viewfield, but I read they might be closed. I'm really grateful for the info on car rental as we were given a number for Mallaig and haven't been able to reach anyone.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Just a special thanks on the car rental as we went to the website and it looks like just what we need!
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM

OK - is the sleeper already booked?

If so you are sort of stuck going to London, changing stations across London, heading out 'somewhere', then back to London, changing stations back across London again to St Pancras for the Eurostar.

If it was me - I'd take the train (not the sleeper) from Scotland to York and spend 2 nights there. Then a train from York to Kings Cross which is right next door to St Pancras. Yorkshire countryside is amazing not to mention York itself. This would be a LOT less to-ing and fro-ing . . . .

If you are booked on the sleeper -- Since you are on a pass maybe you can cancel your sleeper reservation w/o penalty.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM

I too like the Isle Ornsay best of any of the places I've stayed on Skye, but it suffers from being off to one side.

I have stayed in and like the Sligachan, too. Both seem to fall into your budget