From Rome to Sicily

Search

From Rome to Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Rome to Sicily

Has anyone ever taken a ferry or plane (or train) from Rome (Fuimicino) to Palermo, Sicily? What are pros/cons? Cost/time differences? Or any web links to help?
Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM

There are two budget airlines that fly between Fiumicino and Palermo:

AirOne
http://www.flyairone.it/en/

WindJet
http://w3.volawindjet.it/default.php#
(Their English version seems to be down at the moment -- if it was ever up...)

I've flown AirOne Fiumicino-Catania return twice. Two flights were reasonably on time; two were considerably delayed.

I've never flown WindJet.

Flying -- even with delays -- takes much less time than the train; it can also be (considerably) cheaper.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no ferry from Rome to Palermo, only from Naples.

GAC, the resident Italian-transportation expert on the board, will probably chime in and correct me if I've offered any wrong information; he is also an expert on the ferries, which I am not.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM

I have been researching this same thing recently, and Of course GAC is definitely forum expert on this subject.

I also think I remember that there is a ferry from Cittevecchia to Palermo, unfortunately can't remember which company.

Search for GAC and you'll pull up lots of info.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:30 AM

Bellastar is right: There is ferry service between Civitavecchia and Palermo:

http://www.traghettionline.net/eng/i...ner=artemotore
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:46 AM
GAC

Cheapest: Rome to Palermo by Intercity train day OR night train (11 hours, as low as 15 Euros for a reclining seat in first or second class with advance purchase);

Fastest: Rome to Palermo by air. I paid 46.54 Euros on Air One last May 8.

Most luxurious: Civitavecchia to Palermo by overnight car ferry on Grimaldi Lines/Grandi Navi Veloci (thrice weekly, 12 hours; reclining seats, cabins and suites available).

www.trenitalia.com
www.flyairone.it
www.gnv.it
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

this is for GAC (or others)-

I've read your numerous and very helpful tips on train reservations. I'm trying to book the 15 Euro deal for my brother and I from Rome to Palermo via ICN Night train, in about 45 days. It asks for a "Seat Near To..." - then gives "Coach:.." and "Seat:...". The only thing is, I can't find a detailed description of the train to give any specifics. Where can I find this?
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
GAC

The ICN night train departing at 23:00 from Roma Termini to Palermo Centrale (half the train divides at Messina and proceeds to Taormina/Catania/Siracusa) is known as the "Conca d'Oro".

There is ONE first class railcar with 9 compartments of six seats (54 seats);

THREE second class railcars with 11 compartments of six seats (198 seats); and

ONE "Excelsior" class luxury (expensive) sleeper railcar with 8 twin sleeping compartments (16 berths) with air conditioning and private toilet/shower.

(For Siracusa, there are also one first class and three second class railcars, but NO sleepers).

(There are also a couple of railcars which go directly to Reggio di Calabria Centrale without traversing the Straits of Messina).

How do I know this? Because I saw the diagram of the train posted at several Italian train stations last month.

NOTE: Both first and second class seats pivot forward for a modest recline, and have adjustable headrests with side supports which are useful for snoozing.
First class seats are plusher and first class railcars are usually much cleaner and less crowded.

Once first class seats at the 15 Euro promotional rate are exhausted, the System will offer you second class seats at 15 Euros, then first class seats at 30 Euros, then second class seats at 30 Euros. Bear in mind that there are THREE times as many second class as first class seats on this train.

All seats at the promotional rates of 15/30 Euros are capacity controlled, so your best chance to obtain the lowest promotional rate is by booking close to 60 days in advance.

A regular first class reserved seat from Rome to Palermo on the ICN train costs Euro 69.29, so even the 30 Euro promotional rate represents a savings of 130%!

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

GAC -

Thank you so much for your information and helpful hints. It makes this process one thousand times easier. grazie