from rome to naples and amalfi

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:21 AM
katerina

from rome to naples and amalfi

Hi I have six days to spent on Naples, the Amalfi coast and possibly Capri, starting from and ending the trip in Rome. Thinking about driving rather than taking the train, in order to be more versatile. Any ideas of beautiful places to include in the itinerary or spend the night?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Mark

Hi ...

Catch the train from Rome to Naples, then change onto the local train. Use fast train from Rome to naples.

Use the local buses & stay in Sorrento ??

Mark

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Ian

Katerina - Drive. But plan to park it on the Amalfi & take SITA buses to see the different towns. All are beautiful & worth a visit. My personal fave was Ravello. BTW there is a lot of info in this forum. Just be specific in your searches.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:53 AM
Kay

Katerina,
driving and parking can be too much of a hassle in that part of the world, I'd recommend the train to Sorrento from Naples (takes an hour, cost about 3 euro) then the local bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and Ravello. If you stay in Sorrento you can walk to the ferry terminal to go to Capri.
Kay

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:55 AM
Mark

We took a train from rome to naples, rented a car, drove to Paestum, then ravello then positano, then returned var in naples and took ferry to Capri. Getting around Naples was stressful but I would recommend the itinarary.

I would stay a 2 nights in Capri, 1 or 2 in Ravello, 1 or 2 in Positano and 1 or 2 in Paestum. Paestum is probably a 30 minute drive south of Sorrento and has better beaches for actual swimming and lounging around than Amalfi or Capri. It also has some great greek ruins. I wouldn't stay more than 3 nights combined in Ravello/Positano. Ravello is a quieter more beautiful classy village while Positano is pretty (looks just like the postcards) but a bit commercialized.

My only regret was missing Pompei. You may want to work in a visit there too.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:24 AM
katerina

Thank you for your help.
I will be flying back from Rome in the afternoon (19:45). Do you think it is a safe bet to stay in Capri the night before, get the Hydrofoil back to Naples or Sorrento and from there drive or take the train back to Rome in time for the plane? If I go through this procedure, it will be in order to stay at Villa Brunella in Capri. Is it as wonderful as Fodors suggests - making the whole thing worth it?