Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Krakow to Auschwitz - bus, train or taxi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Brian

Hello, There are 4 of us in my family. Would a taxi be better than a bus or train. Has anyone had luck or problems with either one?<BR>I hear the train is unreliable. Any suggestions would help. Thank you.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:58 AM
x

I dont think Id want to take the train to Auschwitz. Kinda creepy, sorry.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:19 AM
Travelman

<BR> To Brian.<BR> Almost any tourist hotel will <BR> get you on a tour .<BR> Personally i took a taxi and made <BR> arrangment for him to wait until we <BR> were done.Eanglish speaking guides <BR> are nor easy to come by once you are<BR> there.There must be a certain amount of people before the office calls someone.Organized tours provide guides. <BR> Good luck T

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:02 AM
snorkelman

try and visit both Auschwitz and Birkenau which are about 45-minute bus ride from Krakow. I took the bus to Auschwitz and walked the 3-km to Birkenau (if you see a bus - take it!). <BR><BR>I suggest going to both of these death camps, but if you can only go to one, go to Auschwitz because it is the most intact of the two. <BR><BR>No problems with the bus at all.

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:20 AM
Patrick

I normally avoid tours like the plague, but after talking with people in Krakow who had gotten stranded overnight at Auschwitz because the last train of the day was cancelled, I decided to go for one that my hotel suggested. They took us to both Auschwitz and Birkenau. A guide gave us a lot of information on the trip there. We watched a film about the museum once we got to Auschwitz, and were led on a short tour, then given plenty of time to explore further on our own or just have some quiet time. Then we re-met and were taken to Birkenau and again were more or less on our own, but the guide was available to answer any questions.<BR>I found it to be the perfect way to do the trip. Some left the group and were totally on their own -- which the guide said was fine and she set up a time and place to meet. <BR>It was the only tour I've ever been on which didn't have some obligitory "shopping" stop or an unwanted sales pitch.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:38 PM
Brian

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:47 PM
Linda

I went on the city bus tour from Krakow and had an English-speaking law student as the guide. Inside Auschwitz we saw a short film and had a guide, then the first guide took us over to Birkenau and it is definitely worth the trip and very close. You can buy your tickets at the hotel and then just wait on the designated corner or at the hotel (if it is a scheduled stop). It takes about an hour to get there and is an interesting drive.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Christine

Patrick and Linda - <BR> <BR>You both sound like you had a good tour experience. Can you provide us with the tour group/company and contact information as we are planning our own trip w/o a travel agent.<BR><BR>Thank you very much.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:25 AM
Paige

We took a bus and that was easy enough. We took a taxi between Auschwitz and Birkenau and back, then had a hard time finding the bus back to Krakow. If I was going again, I'd just take a tour. We tagged along on some and they gave great info. I'd just want to make sure I'd have some time to wander around on my own at each place.