Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Dublin to Waterford & Cork via coast or Kilkenny?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Livingston

In early November after 2 nights in Dublin we'll be traveling by car to Cork for 2 more nights in a B&B. The road map shows two possible directions: the coast line through Wicklow, Arklow, Wexfird, Waterford and to Cork, or an interior route of Nass, Carlow, near Kilkenny, Waterford, and to Cork. Any suggestions as to a route from Dublin to Cork by car?

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1981, we traveled from Dublin down the coast line through Co. Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford and Cork. We traveled by car and stopped at cemetary ruins and enjoyed the scenery immensely. Cork you may know is very industrial but has the Waterford factory which is interesting. We just returned from a great tour (free for us, an award my husband won) and traveled from Limmerick east to Dublin. I won't tell you much about the west coast because it sounds like you're planning Dublin to Cork (may I ask, why Cork?) The other route you talked about was Naas (not worth it, actually had to visit the hospital there due to very swollen legs). Let me suggest this: from Dublin, drive through Naas and on to Kildare. We stayed at the KClub also known as the Kildare Hotel and Golf course. Very posh! For lunch, visit the Red House, Newbridge, Co. Kildare where they have excellent food. We loved the guided tour of the Japanese Gardens and the Irish National Stud farm in Tully, Kildare Town, Co. Kildare. From there going south, you'll have to read the posts as I said, this time we went west to east and in 1981 we arrived Dublin and did the coast to Kenmare, Killarney, and up to Limmerick. Have fun!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:30 PM

Do you have only 4 nights total in Ireland? Is there a reason why Dublin and Cork? Do you have to drive all the way from Dublin to Cork in one day? I was just in Ireland and personally wouldn't stay in either Dublin or Cork but I assume you have a reason. If you don't, I would urge you to consider other places.

The interior from Dublin down to Cork has a few "good" roads that you might make reasonable time on. The scenery is similiar to that of upstate New York or Pennsylvania if you know either of those areas - not un-pretty, but not something I'd go all the way to Ireland to see. There are several interesting places in that area - Kilkenny, Cahir (Castle) and Cashel (Rock of). But I doubt you'd be able to see more than one of them if you have to get all the way from Dublin to Cork in one day.

The southern coastal route, if you drive the actual coast road and not the "N" road, is very slow and the scenery is not very dramatic (not like the west coast) - reminded me of the Demarva Peninsula (Maryland, VA). There are some nice villages (Kilmore Quay) and some ruins and Hook Head Lighthouse is scenic. But to drive from Dublin all the way to Cork that way will take forever.

I'm interested to know why you are concentrating on these areas. While I'm not unhappy I went to these areas, I do wish I had spent more (most) of my time on the west coast.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Livingston

In reply to Kat6688 and Isabel:
In the interest of brevity I just mentioned Dublin and Cork. Actually, there are 8 couples going in early November (yes the weather will be marginal) at $500 per person including air fare to Shannon, 6 nights lodging and a car per 2 couples (4 people). The 1st night (a Friday) is at the Shannon Airport Hotel where we all meet up with each other. From there we can go anywhere we wish as this is a self guided tour. The group decided to go clockwise from Shannon to Dublin for Saturday and Sunday nights at B&Bs provided by the tour, to Cork for Monday and Tuesday nights at B&Bs, and Thursday (the 6th and final) night at Adare Manor near Limerick and Shannon Airport. We decided to stay 2 nights where we can to reduce unpacking, check in-out, etc. We decided Dublin because it is Dublin, and Cork since it is centrally located on the southern coast. It is possible upon leaving Cork for Adare Manor we can drive by way of Killarney, but that is about as far west as we expect to be able to travel. The west coast itself may be wet and cold in November.

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:49 PM

Livingston: I would suggest your group stay in Kinsale instead of Cork-Kinsale is a great town-its the gourmet capital of Ireland! Lots of great restaurants and its a coastal town.
Shadow
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:16 AM

Livingston, given that you can go whereever you want then I'll repeat what I said - the west coast is MUCH more interesting than the central and south areas. It's going to be cool and dark everywhere in November, but you know that. I would definitly not miss the west coast just because it's November. Dingle was my favorite but the Ring of Kerry, which I avoided because of August crowds, would be nice too. Castles and ancient sites are one of the best things in Ireland and they'll be great even in November - again, Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Kilkenny, Bunratty Castle and Knappogue Castle (last two are both very near Shannon).

With only six days and flying in and out of Shannon I'd skip Dublin. There really is a lot to do with less driving. You really only average 30-35 miles per hour so even though distances are not that far you don't cover them the way you do in this country. But have fun whatever you decide.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:45 AM

Livingston,
Sounds like a lovely holiday, Ireland is so beautiful! I would suggest purchasing Frommer's book entitled "Ireland's Best-Loved Driving Tours". The book contains 25 itineraries and may help you to make up your mind. It also has lot of photos and maps and brief descriptions of the towns along the itineraries. Perhaps it will help. Have a wonderful vacation in Ireland!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:34 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the later posts. The west coast is far more beautiful than the east. We started our tour arriving at Shannon Airport then stayed at the Adare Manor which was lovely. That was our base for 3 days. We drove south to the Gap of Dunloe for a pony and trap ride which was hilarious and such amazing scenery. From there on this first day, we went to Kenmare (I had been there before, shopping, pubs, etc.), then to Muckross House. Day 2: Cliffs of Moher and a drive through the Burren country to Kilcolgan, lunch at Morans the Weir in Kilcolgan, then on to the Galway Irish Crystal Heritage Center. Back to the Adare Manor for dinner. Day 3: Departed for Dublin with sightseeing along the way. We stayed in the glorious Kildare Hotel and Golf Resort but I would not suggest Dublin or Cork (Dublin is interesting, but with such a short time, I'd suggest staying on the west coast). Try to see Dingle, Killarney (lakes of Killarney) just a hop from Muckross House. So, in a nutshell, you could base yourself near Adare or Killarney, do a couple of days in the South, then a couple of days near Galway. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM

Another vote for Killarney and the Dingle Peninsula. Dublin is a great historic city and you will enjoy it if you go that route, but the countryside is tremendous. As someone said earlier, Bunratty Castle is a very short ride from Shannon. You'll be tired from your flight and it has an excellent, low-key tour. The Ring of Kerry provides incredible views and wonderful little stops. Somewhere along the ring there was a small farm that gave a very entertaining goat-herding demonstration. The dogs were amazing. I'm sure there are many such demonstrations so if you're interested just keep an eye out for them.

FYI-Waterford is sold everywhere and the prices are controlled so they are all the same. Ship it home--you'll just about make up the shipping with the shipping by not paying the VAT and the bonus is not having to lug it around!