From Cork to Dublin in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have only five nights in Ireland in early March and would appreciate some itinerary help. We fly into Cork early on a Thursday and must fly out of Dublin on the next Tuesday. We will be renting a car and would like to include Dingle for at least one night. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 01:41 PM
CU

Thursday arrive in Cork and see the city of culture.
Friday head towards Dingle stopping off at Blarney to give the Blarney stone a little kiss. Continue onto Dingle.
Saturday head for Tarbert and cross over to Clare via the ferry (20 minutes)on up the west coast to the Cliffs of Moher and on down into Doolin.
Sunday cross over the Burren and on into Galway
Monday early hit for Dublin and get the city tour to see the city.
Tuesday return your car, get on the plane and fall asleep.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Wow!
CU has quite a whirlwind trip planned for ya!
Do me a favor arindasue, go to AA Roadwatch.ie website for driving times between these places. You may want to head for Dingle stopping briefly on the way. With only five nights and short daylight hours in early March, AND flying out of Dublin........anyway, my opinion is to keep it simple. Dingle, Ring of Kerry and back to Dublin for the last night will be PLENTY of driving. Have Fun!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

CU and zaneyjaney, thanks for both of those suggestions! We would like to spend the last two nights in Dublin to give us a full day there, so if we drive straight to Dingle, where would you suggest we spend the next two nights on our way back to Dublin?
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Need to know what interests/appeals to you, in order to make any useful recommendations. Are you into Castles/Manor Houses, scenic solitude, "rubbing elbows" with the locals, coastal drives, stone age antiquities, etcetera?????
Is your early morning arrival in Cork coming after an overnight flight, or will you be arriving fairly refreshed? Ever been to Ireland? Ever driven on the "wrong" side of the road?

As a preliminary, though, Cashel/Cahir is a popular mid-point, with plenty to see and do.

Bob
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Bob, we love all of those things! Practically speaking though, we'll just be flying from London the first morning so we should be good to go. We haven't been to Ireland before, but we have driven in England before and we're getting an automatic so driving should be OK. We're especially looking forward to scenic little villages. We have a lot of beautiful coastal scenery here in California so I guess we could forego that. We were originally planning to spend 3 nights in Dingle and then the two in Dublin, but now we've decided to cover more territory with three one night stops. Can you suggest one more overnight spot besides Dingle and Cashel?
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Hi from Australia, arindasue!
We'll also be in Ireland for a week in early March, so I've been reading your thread with interest.
We fly into Dublin, and have three nights booked in Dun Laoghaire, to recover, see Glendalough and the near Southern hilights and Dublin itself, then three in Belfast to savour the ancestral area (from 1856!)and the Glens of Antrim, north coast area etc. and two spare days, not booked, to do what we like. Don't think our paths will cross, but let's hope for some good weather!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:17 AM

You could spend the first day in the Cork City area (Blarney, Cohb, Kinsale), OR drive out to Kenmare (and maybe "pick up" a bit of the Beara (Healy Pass). The next day, you could do the drive through Moll's Gap, into Killarney (Ross Castle, Muckross House and Farms Killarney National Park and Gap of Dunloe). You'll have to pick and choose, though as one day with travel won't let you sample too much.
Next day, Dingle and Cashel the next.

There are lots of other options as well, so if these do not appeal, let us know.

Bob
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'll have to get my road map out and figure out where all these great places are. If anyone else wants to give us other ideas, please do. I'll be back for suggestions on where to stay after we have our itinerary set!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

So, Bob, (or anyone else!), we've pretty much decided on Dingle and Cashel for our three nights between Cork and Dublin. How would you suggest dividing the nights? We're not so interested in coastal scenery. We'd be more inclined toward villages, castles, and ruins I'd say.

Also, where to stay? How about Legends Townhouse in Cashel?
We'd like something in town in Dingle. How about Doyles? We'd prefer inn-type places as opposed to B&Bs in homes. Not that we're all that anti-social!

Thank you for any ideas.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:20 AM

arindasue, Try the Cashel Palace Hotel. It is so very comfortable. We got a good off- season rate. Give them a call. Doyles in Dingle would be great. Have a wonderful trip. Joan
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM
CU

OK so my scenic tour was a bit too much.
Two days in Dublin (www.visitdublin.com) then hit for Dingle. That takes you on the road to Limerick(www.limerick.com) and on through the scenic village of Adare - a must stop - then on your way to Dingle for another two nights (www.kerry-tourism.com).Hit for the Tarbert car ferry and on to Ennis and Bunratty (www.clarelive.ie) See Bunratty Castle and Blarney wollen Mills (www.blarney.ie). Stay the night in a B &B (www.bedandbreakfastireland.net).
Hit for Tipperary and on to the Rock (www.tipp.ie)
For Ireland go to www.goireland.ie and www.ireland.travel.ie
For road routes www.aaireland.ie and go to 'routes'
That should keep you going.
Slan
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Actually, Slan, we're flying into Cork and out of Dublin. So, I think that changes things a bit. Your itinerary still leaves me a bit exhausted. Remember we only have three nights on the road with two in Dublin at the end. I love all the ideas though...keep 'em coming.

Thanks, Joan, I'll check out Cashel Palace Hotel
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I wpuld do a liesurely drive to Killarney on the first day, via Glenngarriff and Kenmare. It would be a short drive to Dingle the next morning, leaving lots of time for onnor Pass and Slea Head. Next morning head to Cashel via Adare. You might consider staying in Cahir, where you could tour the castle (used in the filming of John Boorman's "Excalliber", and stay at Carrigeen Castle.
Bob
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Connor Pass - sorry for the typo. We really liked staying in the Carraige House of Carriglea House in Killarney, about a mile south of town center and very close to both Muckross House, Traditional Farms AND Ross Castle.
Carrigeen Castle isn't for everyone, but my wife and I enjoyed a two night stay back in April of '01.
Bob