From Annecy to Beaune

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

From Annecy to Beaune

Does anyone have any advice on travelling from Lake Annecy to Beaune, France- what is the easiest and fastest mode of transportation? We will be there in July and after one night at Lake Annecy will go on to Beaune and the Cote D Or.
Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM

DH an I did it several years ago, we had a rental car. It wasn't a bad trip, it was actually kind of fun going thru the mountain tunnels. We had a little Renault Clio, and at times we wondered if it would make it up some of the inclines, we were calling it the little car that could. I think it took us about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, all highway.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM

There are some awfully scenic routes. Are you sure you want the fastest?
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:56 AM

If it's fast you want, take the autoroute to the direction of Bourg, then the direction of Macon straight up to Beaune.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Great advice so far, thanks! If we were to do a scenic route which is the best, what would we see and how long would it take? We're open to anything..
Thank you! We'd leave Annecy on a Friday morning to then have two nights along the Cote D Or before we take the train to Paris and fly back to the US.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Okay, here's a recommended route. From Annecy, go north on N201, heading toward Cruseilles. Before you get to Cruseilles, enjoy the spectacular Pont de la Caille (be sure to stop and walk across the bridge). Then continue north, past Cruseilles, then get on the autoroute (A40) heading west. As it approaches Nantua, this highway is awesome. Near Nantua, you have a choice to make. Nantua is a nothing town, but it has a wonderful museum dedicated to the Resistance. If you want to see this, take the Sortie (exit, #9 I think) for Nantua. As you come into town, the museum is on the same plaza as the church, on your right. After visiting the museum, continue through Nantua, on along the lakeside and a couple of kilometers beyond, where you get on A404 going north (Oyonnax). [If you did not get off the autoroute to go to Nantua, you will go through a long tunnel, and shortly thereafter you can get on A404.]
A404 ends near Oyonnax and becomes a regular road. Keep going up to Dortan, then go left (west), cross the river Ain, then head north. Just on the outskirts of Lons-le-Saunier take a right and follow the signs for the Belvedere du Cirque du Baume. See the view from the overlook. Then you can drive around to Baume-les-Messieurs and then deep into the valley. Gorgeous. After you return from the valley, you can head west by any route to Beaune.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

vedette, that sounds great. about how long would it take? thank you!
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Would you advise the easiest is to just take a train from Annecy to Beaune? How long would it take and any idea if it is more economical than renting a car?
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Glad you got this thread back on the board, as I forgot to reply to you earlier. I have done the suggested car route a few times. It is not as long as it sounds. If you start by 9:00 AM you will be in Beaune by late afternoon, even if you make all the suggested stops and stop for a restuarant lunch. Believe me, it is a beautiful trip. If you go by train, you will go to Lyon (Part-Dieu station) then transfer for train to Beaune. The whole route will take around five hours. Cost will be around 35 E per person. A car will probably cost more if there are two of you.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM

One more thing. The museum in Nantua closes for lunch, so you do want to leave Annecy by 9:00 AM. The museum is interesting and moving. Unless things have changed, the museum is staffed by a lovely, charming young woman who speaks good English.