Frequent driving Biarritz to San Sebastian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new here, but have seen great info. I'll be in the Biarritz/San Sebastian area for a week and am thinking of staying in/near Biarritz or St Jean de Luz?, and also make frequent trips with a rental car to San Sebastian to visit my daughters.

That way I can see parts of France (how far to Bordeaux?) and parts of the Spanish Basque area.

Is this reasonable? Is it to far? An easy drive? Difficult to cross the border?

Also, is it better to fly (RyanAir from London) into Biarrtiz or San Seb, or Bilbao??

Thanks lots for any info,
Twinmum
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM

As I recall we were driving along the coast and suddenly we realized we were in Spain. We must have missed the sign at the border if there even is one, but I assume so.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Wow thats a lot of questions, Maybe fly into bordeaux then drive to larochelle, bayonne, biaritz and then cross over to San Sebatian and leave via Bilbao. This is very dependant on you. I personally prefer San Sebatian to Biaritz but this is purely taste. The drive between the two is breathtaking especially if you opt for smaller roads, but remember those little crosses by the road used to be tourists who didnt pay attention to the road.
I dont remember the drive being especially long between biaritz and san sebastien but all the way to bordeaux I think your better getting a hotel for the night in the bordeaux area, in fact maybe 2 nights, so your not driving the whole way.
Remember is San Sebastien the sea food is excellent so dont forget to get some Hake with green sauce, Some navajas needle clams, some jamon, some asparagos blanco which will be fresh this time of year.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Chris: "fly into bordeaux then drive to larochelle".

If you want to go to Biarritz or St-Jean-de-Luz, you don't drive north to Larochelle.

Ginny