Reload this Page >

French Train Questions

Search

French Train Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Jackie

French Train Questions

I will have a railpass. Can I make TGV reservations before I leave the US or do I do it when I get to France? How do I make reservations for the TGV? How far in advance? (or can you even use French railpass on TGV)Thanks.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Deb

You can use your railpass for the TGV but will pay a charge to make the reservation. The reservation is more if you make it here so I usually wait until I get there and do it at the train station which also offers me flexibility. Don't wait until the day of your trip though or you may not get a seat or end up in smoking.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Jackie

Thanks, Deb, but let's say I want to make the reservation here before I leave the States, how would I do so?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Deb

Jackie, I have never made seat reservations from here so if anyone knows better I am happy to be corrected. But as far as I know there are two ways. You can go to www.raileurope.com and make them by phone or internet. Or you can go to the SNCF.com site and make them. I believe Rail Europe is always more expensive.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:55 PM
xxx

Instead of buying from Rail Europe and you can verify what I'm telling you, order your tickets from sncf.com. Rail Europe's fares are at least 50% higher and they charge for incidentals also. <BR><BR>Generally, you place your order via the sncf.com website by giving your credit card info. and the journey you want (60 days in advance I believe is the earliest you can order). However, because you live in the US SNCF won't deliver the tickets to your home. You will have to pick up the tickets at any SNCF office or train station in France and you have to choose this selection on the website when ordering. Be sure to read the instructions carefully.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Tony

Jackie..<BR><BR>Debbie is giving good advice when she suggests you reserve in France to retain flexibility. There are several TGV trains per day to most destinations, some as frequent as half hourly, and many are hourly. I believe you can also reserve at many travel agencies as well as any station In France, and most stations in Europe.<BR>Unless you are planning to catch a train within hours of your plane landing there is really no point in reserving overseas. Even this can be risky in case your plane is late.