French Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

I am sure this topic has been debated many, many times.

My husband and I have free tickets to use by end of 2005. We will most likely travel in May of '05.

We want a relaxing vacation, not a sightseeing vacation, with the following criteria:

Romantic spot
Good hotels - to us the hotel is as much a part of the experience as the destination. We would love someplace with a sea view.
Good food
Nice, friendly people
Ideally, not have to drive
Shopping - if we want to do it
Natural beauty
Somewhere we can just amble about, eat, drink, sleep, wander, marvel at the beauty...

We are considering Positano/Capri in Italy.

I posted this same thing on Italy section, and someone said Bermuda came to mind. We have been there several times, so that is off the list, but that is exactly the type of place we are looking for.

We are torn between French Riviera and Hilltowns (Vence, Eze, St. Paul), Amalfi Coast, or (still considering) St. John of the US Virgin Islands.

If anyone can provide comparisons, that would be a big help in our decision.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What about the Greek islands?? Should be warm in May and not yet crowded.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 02:32 AM

I am Greek, and I prefer Italy to Greece. Better scenery, better food, and nicer people. You might consider Taormina in Sicily, particularly the Villa Ducale. Lovely people there. As for the Amalfi Coast, I prefer Ravello to Positano. but it's all beautiful. It's hard to compare St. John, USVI to any place in Europe. The beaches are gorgeous, but there's really nothing to do there except the beach and watersports. It sure is relaxing, though!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:19 AM

In my opinion, Italy - hands down.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:23 AM

I'd go to the Amalfo Coast hands down! It has everything that you're looking for.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:50 AM
ocean4

Italy ofcourse.

Old Apr 24th, 2004, 01:42 PM

I'll add yet another vote for Italy. The French Riviera is pleasant enough, but one can feel real passion and a longing for Italy, especially the Amalfi coast, you cannot fail but to be impressed by the sheer beauty.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Hi wanderer,

I think you can immediately strike St. John from your list, although it does have decent hotels and gorgeous beaches. Unless you want to do some serious snorkelling or scuba diving, it's hard to compare almost anything else about it ( esp. the mostly mediocre over-priced food-sorry!) to the great culture, stunning scenery, and excellent food available in either France or Italy.

That being said ( although I really love the vibrant city of Nice) I'd pick the Amalfi Coast over the French Riveria. It's still possible during the height of the summer season, to hike one of the trails in Amalfi or Ravello and find yourself mostly alone to enjoy the unforgettable scenery. That's something that's almost impossible to experience in the crowded towns and cities of the French Riveria.

Add to this food that will make you swoon, lovely people, easy access to Capri and Pompeii, lemon-perfumed air, and you'll see why so many people love the Amalfi Coast!

Good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Weadles, I can hardly wait to be there! Your comments are so true - the Amalfi Coast is a very special place.

Having been to both, I suggest the Amalfi Coast for a romantic setting, amazingly beautiful scenery, great food, nice people, and serenity. Wanderer, this is where you should go especially if you have not been there yet - my vote is for the Amalfi Coast - Capri and Positano are beautiful. There are many hotels with spectacular views.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Positano is truly magical. We're headed for Provence this summer, but thinking back to our stay at Le Sirenuse last August makes me weak in the knees. Now there is a hotel in which you must stay at least once in your life.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Amalfi coast, no question. Everything from the quality of the beaches to the food to the scenery to the general ambiance beats the Riviera.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

So funny to see all the votes for Amalfi coast on the France section of the board!

A couple of questions:

1) Does the Amalfi coast have any good sand beaches, or are they the pebble kind found in Nice?

2) Where would you suggest as a base? We definitely want to spend a couple of leisurely days in Capri, and possibly take a trip to Pompeii.

3) I'm not crazy about having to drive - neither is my husband. What are the alternatives for getting around? I would guess we would fly into Rome? Would it be worth spending a day or two in Rome to "get a flavor" or should we save that for another trip?

4) Is May a good time to go?

5) What about hotels? We love the look of the Sireneuse, but cannot possibly afford it. Our budget is @$250 - $300 US/night.

6) If we just want to laze around and not be rushing everywhere, what could we reasonably see in 10 days?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:28 PM

I also recommend the Amalfi Coast. And, fyi, there is no France section of the board, there is only a Europe section so you are getting Italy lovers as well as France lovers.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Italy. The French Riviera is too crowded with city after city, not to mention the crowded beaches. I think the Amalfi coast will provide a respite from the crowds and there are still lots of open areas along the coastline to offer "breathers." Consider Atrani, for example, close to Positano and Amalfi, yet you can wander the beach and still feel like you are in a small town without feeling packed in. And May will be especially nice there - before tourists hit the coastline!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:02 PM

wanderer,

Most of the beaches on the Amalfi Coast are nothing to get excited about, although I've heard that there's a public beach near Amalfi that's fairly decent. Don't know whether it's pebbles or not.

The beaches we've seen are really grainy strips of sand or cement swimming piers that jut into the water. People swim off the sides of boats, or off the rocks that dot the coastline.

My favorite place along the coast is Positano. It is dramatically beautiful with unforgettable views. And only 15 minutes away by taxi, is the mountain village of Montepertuso, whose restaurants ( DONNA ROSA, IL RITROVO, and others) serve some of the best food I've ever eaten in my life.

From Positano,you could take the SITA bus to visit Amalfi and Ravello. There's regular ferry and hydrofoil service to Capri, although sometimes the boats don't run due to hazardous water conditions.

To visit Pompeii, you'd have to backtrack to Sorrento, then take a train (about 30 minutes) that leaves you at Pompeii's main gate. Or, you could hire a private driver, but that can be very costly.

In Positano, I've stayed a few times at the Hotel Poseidon, but I don't think that falls within your stated budget. SOme other hotels that often get mentioned here on the forum are: Albergo Miramare, Best Western, Villa Franca, Villa Rosa.

Good luck with your plans!