French Riveria

May 23rd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Steve

French Riveria

Looking for a 4 star hotel and suggestions of what towns have the best beaches along the Riveria. After sightseeing for 10 days in France we want to just relax on a beach. I've heard that Cannes in honky-tonk and St. Tropez is hard to get in and out of. Any truth to this? Thanks!

May 23rd, 2002, 03:19 PM
Rex

Antibes.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 24th, 2002, 06:22 AM
up

more?

May 24th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Wayne

If you want a nice sandy beach and a good location in a 4 star hotel with its own parking and an incredibly good restaurant, stay at the Hotel Juana in Juan-les-Pins. The hotel has its own private beach and is just a great place to stay. Price is commensurate with the amenities. It's the best place I've ever stayed along the Riviera.

May 24th, 2002, 07:29 AM
David

If you're looking to just stay in one town in the Riviera and relax, I would say stay in St. Tropez. It's a great town, and it has the nicest beaches. Traffic can be bad because it's popular...but if your goal is to relax with only moderate sightseeing, I think you'll be able to deal with the traffic.

Plus, depending on where you stay, you can avoid some of the traffic. We stayed at a nice hotel called La Bastide de St Tropez, which was just a 5 minute drive from the center of everything. But, because it is on the hill above the town, there were some back roads you could take to get to the hotel that avoided the traffic into the town center. La Bastide also has a beautiful pool and they have a driver on duty who will take you anywhere in town and pick you up again.

May 24th, 2002, 08:39 AM
joy

We go to the French Riviera every year. The first two years, we avoided Cannes because i also heard its too glitzy, honky-tonky etc but one day with nowhere else to kill our time, we ventured with great trepedition to Cannes. And lo and behold we ACTUALLY LIKED it especially the old town section. The past few years we have been staying in Cannes although we have also stayed in Nice and Antibes. A lesson I learned: Judge a place after you have been there!!

May 24th, 2002, 02:49 PM
xxxx

If you choose to stay in Cannes I would recommend the Sofitel Mediterreane, great location and a lovely view from the balcony of your room.

May 24th, 2002, 05:23 PM
mike

Juan les pins has great beaches, is less expensive and close to cannes,nice and monaco.
Mike

May 24th, 2002, 06:17 PM
linda

Have been to the Riviera twice, both times based in Cannes. Don"t find it honky-tonk at all. Yes, you are certainly aware that there are very monied people there but I found it a great place to venture out from as well as explore for itself. Le Suquet, the old town has lots of restaurants and shops and the view from the top of the hill is beautiful, especially at nght. There are lots of hotewls in all price ranges; we stayed at Hotel Splendid which is right across from the Cannes Film Festival building. It was a huge room and very reasonable...about $120 (Canadian)/night. We rented a car and drove up the coast to St. Tropez and the other direction as far as Monte Carlo. We did several day trips out of Cannes. Shopping is great and not as overwhelming as Paris and we enjoyed fabulous meal in a variety of restaurants. There are also several daily markets like Marche Forville.