French Make-Up Secrets?

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Make-Up Secrets?

I have found some great threads on shopping for make-up in Paris but have not run across my particular "issue."

I have typical French coloring (although American) wherein I have major under-eye circles.

I have yet to find a magic potion here in the states. Does anyone know of any secret eye treatment in France that I can try while there next week?

Also looking for the best but most natural cover-up.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:54 AM

While I don't see what's typical French about having "major under-eye circles" and don't believe in magic potions, you should look for a good "anti-cernes" cream or cover-up in a Parfumerie such as Sephora, Marionaud or Douglas.
Sisley makes a good one.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:16 AM

I am also confused by the under eye circles comment, as I never considered that particularly French to begin with. However, there are some options. All the ones I know of are available at Sephora (a make up and perfume store based in the US, I believe, though there is one here in Barcelona), and I highly recommend Bremenn's Hylexin, which is for permanent dark circles (not the I-went-out-last-night kind) and feels great! The Body Shop also has a Vitamin E under eye cream that I really love and it is much cheaper.

I don't have the circle problem, but like to use a dab of eye cream to set my make-up. If you use it and then do a light dusting of pale bronzer, you should pretty much have them gone.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Touche Eclat by YSL works like a dream
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:49 AM

I second the touche eclat.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 03:14 AM

I use MAC Fast Response Eye Cream applied with a brush (a little goes a long way) then MAC's Studio Touch-Up Stick Correcteur which is like a fat pencil. Apply that & then use the same brush that will have some of the Cream on it to blend the Correcteur in.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM

How about Cle de Peau concealer?
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
lawchick

I have found the most marvellous thing for under eye circles.....and concealing generally---its called "the realness of concealness" by benefit. Benefit is American -

The set I bought includes their Boi ing "industrial strength" concealer. This stuff conceals everything!
http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/p...8&bcBrand=core
Get this and wave those circles bye bye

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Mmmmm, there is concealer for 20-somethings where you can push and pull that under-eye skin without a second thought, and there is concealer for - wait, I have to take a sip of coffee first - for 51 year olds where the skin is definitely crepey (God, I hate that word!) and will hold a peak all on its own (much like whipping cream - so sad).

So, what is the best concealer for my droopy bags (and I'm fair-skinned)?
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
laclaire, Sephora is a 100% French chain, owned by LVMH. Meanwhile, l'Oréal now owns The Body Shop.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Touche eclat by YSL as already mentioned is good.

If on a budget then l'oreal's concealer is good too.

Whilst on the subject of "the best but most natural cover-up" what is your opinion of Sheer Cover (kit includes concealer, mineral powders, etc) - and does it really work as well as they make out on the adverts?
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I love my Cle de Peau concealer - it covers like a dream, blends easily, does not settle in creases, and is the only concealer I can use in the Boston winter when my undereye skin dries and begin to look like an old reptile...

Expensive, but oh so worth it if you have serious undereye circles. I bought for the 1st time in Le Bon Marche in Paris, but it's also sold in States (Saks).
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Sorry-didn't mean to offend anyone.

I have very olive-colored skin so my dark circles are even more "menacing" than that of my lighter-skinned friends.

Most concealers either:
1. do not do the job
2. result in white clown eyes unless I smear foundation on top which I don't like to use on a daily basis!

Do you think prices at Sephora Paris are better than U.S?

BTW:I've tried Hylexin and not sure if I wasn't putting enough on, but I didn't see a difference.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions-I will be sampling these for sure!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM

kerouac- thanks. I wasn't sure about that.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Another vote for Hylexin - both my daughter and I find that it actually works! It does cost $95! But the tube lasts for months. I'm willing to try the Benefit item mentioned. I love their "it stick" for the creases down the side of the mouth - this "it stick" REALLy works to conceal the creases- it's really quite amayzing.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
annieladd

Nars makes a great concealer.

More recently, though, I've been using Jane Iredale mineral makeup. It's fabulous, and great for travel. They make a circle/delete concelear that's quite nice.

annieladd

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM

BowenLinda, I'm in the same boat with the silly putty undereyes. Try the MAC stuff I mentioned. I'd bet a store in your area that sells it would demonstrate it on you. I got it at Harrod's where it was applied on me & that's why I bought it.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM

I will take a look at the Cle de Peau concealers at Sephora on the Champs Elysees this week-end (catching a morning Thalys down to Paris for three days, yay!). I have Giorgio Armani foundation, which I love, so I would try their concealer as well. Their foundations slides on like a dream and wears well, but I don't know if they have something that matches your skin tone...I am very fair and GA makes great stuff for fair skin.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Getting ready to pack and allez! Will let you know what I "find" when I get back.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM

The funny thing about Clé de Peau is that it's Japanese (made by Shiseido)- not French. But it is very nice, although pricey.

La Prairie makes wonderful foundation that comes with matching concealer in the lid. It's not French, either. It's Swiss, I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -