French Independence day

Search

French Independence day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Independence day

A group of us were planning on going to Paris July 10th-13th. We were wondering if we should postpone this trip and move it to another weekend given that the following monday is France's Independence day. What kind of festivities are going on during that time and will we see any of it being there the weekend prior to Independence day? Is it overwhelmingly crowded? Either it could be an absolute blast and great experience or it could be tiring and frustrating with the crowds.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If I'm in France in July, I make it a point to be in Paris for Bastille Day, and the evening before for the Bals. I don't ordinarily do well in big crowds or in places where firecrackers are going off every which way, but I do make an exception with this celebration, because it is so much fun. Of all the bals (which take place at the fire stations), we like the one at St. Suplice the best (in the 6th). They throw a great party. But you have to get there early or wait in a big line to get in.<BR><BR>You also have to get to the Champs Elysee early the morning of the 14th before they close the Metros at stations along the route, otherwise you must walk and walk and walk to get to the best spots. There are hawkers out there selling periscopes (key: negotiate price!) for about the equivalent of $5.00. Aside from making a good souvenir if your luggage is that big, you can see the whole parade from the back of the crowd, so it comes in useful for short people and kids.<BR><BR>The fireworks that night are usually over the Trocadero and they are unbelievable. You can picnic under the Eiffel Tower and watch the light show, which is choreographed to music. It is not something you will regret seeing and hearing. We avoid the crowds by getting tickets on one of the tour boats for their special cruise. We drag a few bottles of wine, and some food, kick back and enjoy. <BR><BR>Have a great time!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I've been there several times for this, and would just go based on whether you want to be there or not during that time period, and if it suits your schedule. It's just one day, so some things are slower that day and the parade, of course, affects that part of town. The fireworks and crowded the night before also can affect that, but other than that, it doesn't make that much difference. Any museums open that day will be extremely crowded, however, so that isn't so optimal (eg, the Louvre). <BR><BR>I don't care much about other country's national holidays because I don't consider them mine -- to be honest, I don't like the US one, either, and avoid it, I just don't like that kind of event. However, if you do like that kind of thing, you might enjoy it. I only went to the parade once because I figured why not, I wasn't busy that day, and I really did enjoy viewing it so I'm glad I did. I hadn't ever seen a military parade before and I found a lot of the historical tanks and the cavalry, etc, quite interesting to see. I didn't do anything unusual to view it and saw it fine -- I just went near the Arc about an hour before the parade (not far from Fouquets, actually) because the big crowded are farther east around the viewing stand. I got a &quot;standing&quot; position only about one row back from the street.<BR><BR><BR>I have never heard it referred to as &quot;French independence day&quot;, by the way, as they weren't a colony of any country they were gaining independence from. It celebrates the beginning of the republic in comparison to the monarchy.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 01:34 PM
CalgirlSusan

Maybe this is splitting hairs on what it's called, but I'd consider the day the French stormed the Bastille and got their &quot;independence&quot; from those greedy monarchs a true &quot;Independence Day&quot;. And to be honest I overheard our Parisian hotel clerk explain the celebration to guests as &quot;our independence day&quot;.

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM

When we were there for Bastille Day, we were told we should watch the fireworks from Pont Neuf, so we did. But we really couldn't see anything from there except a few scattered very high ones which could be seen over the buildings. And we nearly froze on the bridge. I never knew how cold it can be in Paris in the middle of July. That was several years ago.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Um...I've been in Paris about 4 times a year for the past 25 years, sometimes over Bastille day and most times not, and I've got a boatload of French friends, and never once have I heard of Bastille Day referred to as Independence Day. It's not as though the French were liberated from another country's domination. It's just the Jour du Quatorze Juillet.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:19 PM

To be real honest I can't remember the last time I heard anyone in the US say, &quot;let's have an Independence Day picnic&quot; or &quot;what are you doing to celebrate Independence Day&quot; either. Everybody calls our holiday the Fourth of July. Sort of like that old joke, &quot;do they have a fourth of July in Europe?&quot; Yep, right between the third and the fifth.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 03:50 PM
rex

You and your friend are posting very similar threads (no one says you can't). To both of you, I would say that the day is more properly called Fete Nationale (&quot;fett na-see-yoh-NAHLL&quot.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the duplicate questions. I haven't bothered to write everyone in the group to &quot;report.&quot; And please excuse my ignorance regarding the proper holiday name... Bastille Day/le 14 juillet/Fete Nationale.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:16 PM

<BR>If one if a serious student of history French &quot;Independence Day&quot; should be celebrated July 4th. In any case, France is irrelevant when it comes to important world decisisions today -- and that's quite good news!
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:06 PM

14 juillet (July 14) = Bastille Day = Fete Nationale = Fete du Liberation.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:19 PM
ron

I have never heard it called fete du liberation but, since lib&eacute;ration<BR>is a feminine noun, wouldn't it have to be 'fete de la lib&eacute;ration'?
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:43 PM

ron, I think it's just &quot;de&quot; liberation. . . but I may not have this correct, because I've only heard one French person refer to it in this way.<BR><BR>How do you manage to put the diacritical marks in your posts?<BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM
rex

to elle:<BR><BR>There used to be a table, but the way the software (operating system?) works, they have had to take it down from time to time, because previously posted &quot;results&quot; appeared as gobbledy-gook.<BR><BR>Bascially, it invloves the &quot;Alt&quot; key plus a 3-digit (128 through 255) or 4- digit (0128 through 0255) code, which must be entered from the numeric keypad.<BR><BR>Here are just a few examples. You can experiment with the rest, or help re-create the table yourself.<BR><BR>Alt-128 &Ccedil;<BR>Alt-129 &uuml;<BR>Alt-130 &eacute;<BR>Alt-131 &acirc;<BR><BR>Alt-0128 ?<BR>Alt-0129 <BR>Alt-0130 ‚<BR>Alt-0131 ƒ<BR><BR>Some of these might not display right. Even as I type them, I only see a &quot;square box&quot; for Alt-0129. For the euro symbol, which appears correctly as I type it, I am pretty sure that this does NOT work as the Fodors system functions right now.<BR>
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM

I've heard that France literally shuts down on the 1st of August. IS this a special holiday? we will be motorhoming somewhere in France on this day and may need to be prepared!!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:34 AM

<BR>Basically, August 1 is THE day the big summer holiday starts. As it happens to be a Friday this year, it will also involve the usual weekend traffic.<BR>I would avoid the motorways, especially the Route du Soleil (Paris-to the south)as well as the motorway to the Normandy.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Thanks Ursula
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM
rex

apropos the euro sign - - I just saw an old posting of mine, and the euro sign IS visible! Has Fodors restored the ability to use this?<BR><BR>&amp;euro;<BR><BR>?<BR><BR>?<BR><BR>
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:10 AM

We will also be in Paris for Bastille Day this year. The suggestion from Surfergirl- to see the fireworks from the river really caught my attention.
I have checked a few river cruise companies and it appears as though they only accept reservations for the dinner cruises. My question is, did you have difficulty getting on a cruise in the late evening? If the fireworks display starts at 10:00PM (as noted by a Fodorite in another posting) aren?t the later cruises totally full? Was this a factor? Did you have to wait in lines? I am a little confused as to how this will work with out a reservation.
Please share your advice on this topic.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 02:52 PM

The french common name for &quot;14 juillet&quot; is &quot;La prise de la Bastille&quot;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -