Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Free wifi in Paris by 9/15/07, how is it working?

Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

I read that Paris was planning to have free wifi by September 15 in most areas. Has anyone had the the opportunity to try it out? Any advice for access in the 6th? I plan on bring my Palm and hope to access web and email via wifi.

Clea
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM

Haven't seen much in the way of reports on the Paris-implemented free Wifi system.... anyone?
Oct 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Oct 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Have not used it, but it works in all public parks, libraries, major squares, district city halls. Apparently it does not work in the middle of the night, except at 2 locations. One of them is Place de l'Hôtel de Ville and I don't remember what the other one is.

But since wifi is free at McDonald's, Starbucks, Quick and hundreds of normal cafés, it is not at all difficult to find in Paris. You will often see 'wifi gratuit' printed on the awnings of cafés now.
Oct 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM

I have checked several places in St Germaine, but no signals. Its easy for me to check with the iPhone. There is a signal some places that says "gratuit" or free, but it is security enabled, and asks for a login and password.

Might try near Starbucks, or alot of apartments have WiFi which are not security enabled, thast you could probably logon to.