Reload this Page >

Free speech vs. inaccurate postings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 04:39 AM
Neal Sanders

Elsewhere on this site is a posting from someone who recently stayed at the Beaufort Hotel in London, didn't care for the place, and posted a message saying so. I was surprised when I first saw it, because I've stayed there and have enthusiastically recommended the hotel to others. <BR> <BR>The message would have been forgotten had the owner of The Beaufort not posted a reply pointing out the inaccuracies in the poster's comments. But the owner also went a step further -- asking that Fodors delete the message. That started me thinking about the role of message boards such as this one. <BR> <BR>My biggest complaint about travel articles and guidebooks is that their praise is so universal. No one ever has a bad meal, rents a rotten car, or stays in a room with an insect problem. By contrast, this message board has damned with faint praise and outright warned people away from certain hotels, restaurants, and even airlines. <BR> <BR>I believe that is the way it ought to be and hope it will remain so. The price of free speech (or is the internet commercial speech?) is the occasional diatribe or inaccurate posting. In the case of the posting on the Beaufort, I offered a different viewpoint; something I ought to have done when the original posting appeared in August. <BR> <BR>I hope Fodors will not yield to the hotel's request to strike the message (M. Blanc of Air France would surely be next in line with a similar demand). Does anyone have a complementary or contradictory view? <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 07:42 AM
Frank

I agree with you, Neal. Travel articles and guidebooks offer such universal praise that it sometimes becomes difficult for a person like myself to plan a trip based solely on those guidebooks. I frequently need "another angle", and this type of forum provides it. <BR>As for free speech, I agree too that postings should not be removed or censored for any reason. One person's dislike for the Beaufort Hotel, for example, may or may not matter to the reader. I must say I did not read the specific posting on this hotel, but perhaps what may have turned this person "off" of this hotel might not matter to me, and if there were enough follow-up responses contradicting it, I may discount that viewpoint. <BR>But we, the reader, shuld have the freedom to read it. <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 08:56 AM
Christina

Interesting point, Neal. Well, I've read the <BR>posts in question, and think any reader <BR>clearly has enough different opinions to <BR>make up his or her own mind. This is <BR>the problem, unfortunately, with any <BR>public BB or even guidebook of any <BR>kind--info presented may be biased, <BR>or just plain inaccurate. I have seen <BR>plenty of inaccurate info on this board <BR>in some posts I tend to read because I <BR>know the subject well (e.g., France and <BR>Paris), but they are not usu. aimed at <BR>a particular establishment but errors <BR>regarding schedules, availability, locations, <BR>etc. Anyway, I think Fodors should leave <BR>things as they are unless some post <BR>were out-and-out vulgar and almost a <BR>vendetta. The post on the Beaufort was <BR>clearly a difference in opinion, but I <BR>assume the author did really feel that way, <BR>or why else would he have posted it? <BR>The Beaufort's response seemed <BR>courteous and to address the issues, <BR>which gave them a legitimate chance to <BR>counter the charges. I don't think Fodors <BR>should remove the post because then <BR>you get into Fodor's catering to a certain <BR>trade who doesn't want offensive posts-- <BR>the Beaufort's argument is inaccuracy <BR>(the libel charge re "overly solicitious" <BR>is absurd, and at that point I began getting <BR>annoyed with the Beaufort), but I think <BR>readers opinions are more legitimate <BR>than the business. After all, how does <BR>anyone know the Beaufort's post is <BR>accurate? Of course, it is Fodor's board <BR>and they can do whatever they want -- <BR>the only true uncensored stuff on the <BR>internet is Usenet groups (i.e., <BR>rec.travel.europe) because any sponsored <BR>board can delete posts. But, if Fodor's <BR>gets in the habit of deleting any critical <BR>or offensive post just because the <BR>owner/mgt of the business objects, <BR>this board will become worthless. <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 09:15 AM
Maira

I agree with Neal. Let's keep this forum an open post, where even inacurate postings have a venue where that can be refuted as well. The Beaufort had the chance to take exception to the opinion posted and did it. Now, let me, the reader, make my own mind....

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 12:35 PM
staff

Dear users, <BR> <BR>an interesting question you've brought up. We at Fodor's do occasionally remove material from these boards, most of which falls into one of three categories: <BR> <BR>1) We take down technical snafus: multiple instances of the same exact post, posts with authors but no message text, etc. <BR>2) We also remove advertising -- more specifically, messages that seem to be posted by businesses or individuals soliciting paying customers for their own commercial services. <BR>3) Finally, we've been known to remove material that's obscene, vulgar, offensive, and/or rude. <BR> <BR>Most of the time, it's clear whether a post should stay or go. Sometimes, however, the line between advertising and advocacy can be blurry, as can the distinction between what's frank and what's rude, what's merely suggestive and what's obscene. <BR> <BR>We attempt to balance our aversion toward censorship with our commitment to maintaining an all-ages environment for civil, forthright discourse. In the case cited above, we're not likely to remove the material: Discussing the relative merits of properties and destinations is one of the primary purposes for Fodor's forums. Were the posts to escalate into name-calling, however, we might intervene. <BR> <BR>All of you who use these forums can play a role in building what might be called our "community standards." Be informed: Read our Forum FAQs and Subscribers Agreement. Be kind and informative, especially when answering messages that seem particularly clueless or inflammatory. And let us know when you see problematic posts -- you can always reach our offices by going to the Write to Us page, accessible from the homepage or at www.fodors.com/contact-us/. <BR> <BR>Staff <BR>Fodor's Travel Online <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:30 PM

up

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:09 AM
Cindy

Topping this. <BR> <BR>Note the post from Fodor's staff. It differs from previous Fodor's posts because the poster isn't Danny or one of the others from whom we have corresponded in the past. Perhaps a new person has his or her finger on the "Delete Thread" button at Fodors. Personally, I hope he or she will not push the "Delete" button quite so quickly. Perhaps a bottle of wine would help?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:11 AM
Cindy

Oops! This is an old thread. Forget I said anything. <BR> <BR>How embarrassing!