Free day in Oslo--suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next week-end, we've got a free Sunday in Oslo before a round of business meetings. Any suggests for what to do in Oslo on a Sunday afternoon and where to have dinner? Nothing too expensive or too hard to get to from the center of the city. Someplace casual, moderately priced (about 300 to 400 NOK pp including a glass or two of wine or beer), but good food.
Thanks!

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM

Vigeland Park for sure.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM

If the weather is nice and the boats are still running from City Hall, I'd head out to the Bygdoy peninsula for the museums. I went to the two that are usually thought of as the most interesting and important -- Vikingship Museum and the Folkmuseum (a bit like Skansen in Stockholm).

This will be an enjoyable way to spend a few hours if the weather is nice.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Viking Ship museum is a good suggestion, but I also enjoyed the Fram museum on polar exploration at Brygdoy, right next to the Viking Ship museum. Here are directions for getting there from downtown:

Bus no. 30 to Bygdøy, every 15 minutes from Jernbanetorget (by Oslo train station) and the National Theatre.
The Bygdøy ferries goes from Rådhuskaia (near Oslo City Hall) to Dronningen during the summer.

But if it's a really nice day, I'd choose the Vigeland Sculpture Park (aka Frogner Park).

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM

Kon-Tiki.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM

Hopscotch
Isn't the kon-tiki raft is included of the viking museum. Also, you can find rja (is this correct), the raft which went from Africa to the west worlds. The first Rja sunk but the second raft made it's way across.

Certainly this is a major "Site" to see in Oslo. The other site would be the Vigeland park.

For people interested about skaters, there's a museum about Sonia Henne (sp?) and it was worth a look. There was a lovely walk along the coast from the museum back to central part of Oslo.

The food is very good in Oslo but it's some of the most expensive city to pay the bill afterwards. Yet, for me it was my honeymoon.

Blackduff
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM

The Kontiki museum is a different one, as far as I know. The Vikingship museum comprises three burial ships (?), one of which dates to the 9th century AD or so, if I remember correctly.

Before I went I thought that this wouldn't be very interesting, but I was surprised by how immense they were. It's amazing what they were able to build more than 1000 years ago.

I also went to Vigeland Park. Personally I'd choose Bygdoy if I had limited time. Part of the fun about being in Oslo is crusing the Oslofjord, and I think that the boat trip is a nice way to do this.

But who knows what the weather is like in early October?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM

Blackduff,

I thought that the Kon Tiki museum was separate from the Viking museum. In any case they are virtually next door to each other and both are amazing. Thor Heyerdahl had more balls than brains to set to sea in those scraps of wood and weed.

Here is the web site: http://tinyurl.com/2cros4

BTilke,

I wish I could recommend a place to eat, but my consolation offering is <u>DO NOT</u> go to Lofoten Fiskerestaurant at Harbor Aker Brygge. This is a very nice looking place at the water's edge. After living on dimes for a week I thought that I would treat myself. Knowing the reputation for Norway as having some of the best mussels in the world, and having savored these at times, that is what I ordered. How can anybody screw up mussels? They worked hard at it, believe me. FUBAR would be a kind description. And priced out of this world. One of the worst meals of my life.

My notes say that there are &quot;many other places to eat up north of the twin towers&quot; but I have no specifics. I can't even picture the &quot;twin towers&quot; now. You should be OK for NK 400 including a beverage.

Speaking of beverages, bring what you can from the plane duty free shop. The prices in Oslo are OK for the local oil barons but bank robbery for the rest of us.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM

Hi,

Go for a stroll in Vigelandsparken, then visit the Munch museum at T&oslash;yen. For a good dinner at a reasonable price try Sult - www.sult.no. The website is in Norwegian, but there is an English menu: http://www.sult.no/restaurant/menuin...ilfunkid=10878
on the website. The place is in Grunerl&oslash;kka and easy to get to. It is in walking distance from the city center and there is a good tram service as well. Buy a day card on the public transport and you can get around town using the metro, the buses and the trams. In the Grunerl&oslash;kka area, there are a number of good restaurants and trendy bars. This is where people living in Oslo go out. Avoid eating at Aker brygge - overpriced food and drinks. For exceptional Chinese food, you could try a place called Dinner in the center. But don't forget to make a reservation, very popular place.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Viking museum is definitely on the list and the park(s) as well unless the weather is absolutely atrocious (we're not bothered by a little rain).
Restaurants recs also appreciated, along with the advice to avoid Aker brygge.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Additional note: The Bygd&oslash;y ferry stopped running for the seaason on Sept. 30. So it's the number 30 bus instead.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Just a quick update: a gorgeous day in Oslo, things go off to a good start with free biz upgrade on early morning flight! DH looks Norwegian; wherever we go, if there are Norwegians about, they always try talking &quot;Norg&quot; to him first, so we think it's fun to be where he blends into the crowd so well.
Viking Ship museum was great, ditto for the park. We don't quite understand the bra exhibits we've seen around...is that art?
Confession: despite the excellent Fodorite advice, DH really wanted to eat by Aker Brygge. Were down there and he got taken in with the notion of eating at TGIF, where he could have a bona fide Long Island iced tea and a Jack Daniels steak.
Before everyone throws up their hands in horror, remember we haven't lived in the U.S. for nearly a decade so TGIF is kind of a novelty experience. Anyway, it wasn't bad, plus it was an expensed meal, and DH has had a lot of stress at work lately, so if he wanted to relax at TGIF, I wasn't going to argue.
Signing off for the night...busy work day tomorrow.
Oslo and Bergen are definitely on the books for a future summer vacation where we can enjoy the seasonal ferries (none running now).