Reload this Page >

Frankfurt - where to go?

Search

Frankfurt - where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 11:41 AM
care

Frankfurt - where to go?

I'll be going to Frankfurt on business in a couple of weeks for about 5 days. Sorry to say, but I've not heard too many nice things about this city. I've been to a few others in Germany and really enjoyed them, but hear this just isn't the same. That it's too industrial. <BR>Any suggestions of where to go for a good meal or a fun time with friends/business associates while I'm there. Since I'm working during the day, I'm really looking for night-time activities. <BR>Thanks for the help!

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 07:01 PM
Kris

Heidelberg. A 30 minute commute. Get a <BR>room by the Neckar. Take the Philosophers Walk, dine in the altstad. <BR>If you must be IN Fkft., spend evenings in Saachsenhausen, the closest thing to germany in Frankfurt. <BR>KK

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 08:15 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Another two cities are Mainz and Weisbaden, each some fifty minutes away by suburban train. They sufered less bonmbing than Frankfurt, and were well rebuilt on the old lines. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 12:29 AM
miriam

Hi Care, <BR>where is your hotel? I`ve posted some restaurant recommendations 2 months ago for somebody staying at the Marriott. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 02:45 AM
Rob

Hello! <BR>Well, it's not quite that bad, and it does have its pretty corners. Roemer Square, where city-hall is, is nice, as is the cathedral (St. Barth's I think). The main shoppng street, Zeil, is also OK. Sachsenhausen has lots of pubs and restaurants, with a relatively lively nightlife. <BR>The area around the train station is nasty, especially at night, so avoid it then.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 07:42 AM
care

Miriam- <BR>I'm either there or the hyatt... what are the 2 restaurants you've recommended?

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:29 AM
miriam

Hi again Care, <BR>the Marriott is nice, but there`s no Hyatt in Frankfurt. Across the Marriott there`s is a Maritim, which is very nice, better than the Marriott and we have a brandnew first-class Hilton downtown Perhaps you mean one of those. Below I`ve copied what I`ve written before responding a similsr question. If you need further help just ask, you`re welcome. <BR>the Marriot is near the big Frankfurt fairy and the Festhalle, where a lot of big events like shows or concerts are being held. I would check out if there´s something interesting scheduled while you´re there. I like the Marriott very much, just been in the Champions Bar last week. In the complex you´ll also find a Japanese restaurant which I think is rather expensive. <BR>Just a short walk away you´ll find the best Indian restaurant in Frankfurt, the <BR>"Jewel of India", Wilhelm-Hauff-Strasse 5, Tel. 752375. It´s my favourite and advised in every Frankfurt guide. It´s not cheap, but the food is delicious and the interior just wonderful. <BR>I can also recommend the "Taj Mahal", Schweizer Strasse 28, Tel. 620240. If you want to go out at night, that´s a nice place to start, because it´s in Sachsenhausen, where you can find a lot of bars and restaurants. It´s the place where locals go to have fun. There you´ll also find the "real" Frankfurt restaurants, where you sit on wooden benches at large tables and drink the local made applewine. Try it! <BR>Concerning Italian restaurants, well it´s a bit difficult. In the area where you´re staying there are tons of Italian restaurants, but most of them are pretty expensive since a lot of Business people are staying in the hotels around that place. I like the "La Trattoria", Fürstenbergerstrasse 179, Tel. 552130 and the "Isoletta", Feldbergstrasse 31, Tel.725889. You need to take a taxi. Across the street of the former mentioned "Jewel of India" is a very nice Italian restaurant as well, but I can´t remember the name at the moment(Pino or similar), it´s in the same street and you can walk there as well. If you´re in the city center or in Sachsenhausen you´ll find Italian restaurants everywhere, but I can´t advise one of those, because I´ve never visited one. <BR>A French bistro-style restaurant is the "Coq au Vin", Textorstrasse 89, Tel.96200338,it´s in Sachsenhausen as well. This is one of my favourite places in Frankfurt. It´s not expensive and you feel a little bit like being in Paris, the food is wonderful. A new trend in the city are cross-over restaurants, where you can get a bit of everything, mostly Mediterranean oriented, but not strictly French f.e. and sometimes mixed with Asian influences. I like the "Lounge", Weißadlergasse 15, Tel. 288233 and the "Living", Kaiserstrasse 29, Tel.2429370. <BR>I hope that will help you a little bit. <BR>If you need more tips, for bars e.g. just ask me. <BR> <BR>Kind regards <BR> <BR>Miriam