Frankfurt to Nuremburg, from FF airport by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question.....how complicated is it to get the train from the FF Flughafen to Nuremburg, do I have to change trains in Frankfurt? I think I do. I know the train is under the airport, but how long are the walks to get to the trains? Got a knee replacement, but manage with cane. Thanks ahead, Sue
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 07:51 PM

We did this a couple years ago and it is definitely a walk from where you exit immigration/customs to the trains station, but do not recall having to contend with stairs. As i recall, the train we boarded at the airport took us right to Nuremburg with no changes.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are NUMEROUS direct (no changes) trains from the FRA airport station to Nurnberg

You can easily check the schedules yourself using www.bahn.de

Click on the English version
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 12:31 AM

Should be fine now, but as mentioned above, there is some walking to do. Two years ago it was a mess because there was construction all over the place, the signage was poor (to put it mildly) and the info given by the various airport staff varied from ok to useless. If you're traveling on the train first class and have some time to wait, there is a DB lounge. Not fancy, but you can freshen up and relax a bit. FWIW, try to buy your train ticket online...the line at the airport train station ticket office can be long and slow moving. I fly from FRA to the US every year (leaving again in less than two weeks) and tend to buy my train ticket in advance to get a cheaper price. I leave myself a healthy time window between the scheduled arrival in FRA and the train departure. If I have to hang around, I go either to the DB Lounge or to one of the various cafes/restos in the Squaire shopping/dining area in the airport near the train tracks.

If you wish to make things easier on your knee, you can request wheelchair service (no charge) in advance to get you from the plane to passport control and baggage claim. I always did that for my Mom.

FWIW, if you're going first class on the train and want to relax in peace, book a seat in the quiet car. No phones, no loud talking. OTOH, if you're feeling chatty with your travel mate(s), please do not book (or simply take) a seat in the quiet car. AFAIK, there are no quiet cars in second class, at least not on the trains I take.

Last edited by WeisserTee; Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 04:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Hotel Victoria is wonderful, inside the walled city but not far from the train tunnel exit. If you pass the dunkin donuts you have gone by it. YES, a dunkin.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it. Sue
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 07:55 AM

yes direct trains as dukey says - you can book your own ticket at www.bahn.de/en - at a discount if early enough to get limited in number discounted tickets but those are non-changeable from specific train so allow plenty of time for plane to be late - long lines at Immigration, etc. and about a 15-minute walk to Fernbahnhof or long-distance train station in airport. Full fare tickets are always available after landing and that may be the best way so you can take right off after landing. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com - great advice on discounted ticketing yourself online - general info like 1st v 2nd class, etc also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Seat reservations are not mandatory before boarding so you can always board trains even if full - unlikely but when buying ticket opt for the few-euro optional seat reservations.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Palen and others. I have plenty of time, just thinking ahead on this, and I did ask this before, but wanted to be sure I understood it. am taking son again on river cruise, Nuremburg to Vienna, but not until next year/Xmas time....way way ahead. Anticipating it. Sue