Frankfurt airport layover

Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Mon
Original Poster

Frankfurt airport layover

WE have a layover of 6.5 hr between flights at Frankfurt airport. Trying to decide if we should venture out and go to Frankfurt or to Heidelburg. Do we have enought time to go to Heidelburg (sounds more interesting)? Please provide some info. Thanks.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Mon
Original Poster

Fortgot to add - the layover is from 7:00 a.m to 1:30 p.m.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:17 PM

you really don't have much time....by the time you are organized it will be after 8AM and you need to be back by 11 i would think...not much time really

go to the hotel and have a nice lunch
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:48 PM

I don't know when you'll be there, but if the weather is good, a walking tour of Mainz would be nice.

It's a short trip of 20 minutes or so by S-Bahn train from the airport to Mainz. I'd suggest you get off at the Mainz Sud station - the first one after you cross the Rhine - and walk from there north along the "Augustinerstrasse", which is just a couple of blocks from the station. It'll take you into the heart of the old town, a pre-war pedestrian zone south of the Cathedral with lots of cobblestones and a few nice shops and restaurants. You could visit the cathedral, and maybe do a little shopping in the more modern area north of the Cathedral, or just wander the plazas around the Cathedral (a few cafes there.) From the Cathedral, the Rhine is a few blocks to the west. If you have more time, head back to the station but continue past it and south to Mainz's pretty "Stadtpark" - nice gardens, a nice biergarten at the Favorite Hotel, too, with a view of the Rhine.
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Mon
Original Poster

This will be the morning of Dec 10th.
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Looks like you are arriving after an all night trip from the USA. You aren't likely to feel well enough to do much of anything.
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:58 PM

I doubt you would have time to see Heidelburg, but you would have enough time to catch a train to Frankfurt, transfer to the medieval Romerberg, visit the Kaiserdom, and soak up the atmosphere. The Christmas market should open around 10 a.m. and that should keep you entertained until you have to head back. Nearby is the Zeil district which has some of the best shopping in all of Germany. Or you could go to Wiesbaden and wander around, but I like Frankfurt better.
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:25 AM

We went in to Frankfurt after an early morning flight about 8:30 am and most things weren't open. There was nothing to do but have coffee until 10 am. After that businesses started opening and some bus and boat tours started.