Frankfurt Airport and Customs

Jun 6th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Frankfurt Airport and Customs

Hi All!
I recently (as in yesterday) booked a round trip ticket in/out of Frankfurt Germany (I will be traveling from the US). I arrive on a Sunday mid morning and need to get to Vienna that same day. I have found a flight that leaves from the same airport on the same day to Vienna that I was hoping to book.

My question is: since the flight to Vienna is one way and a separate reservation, does anyone know if I will need to go through customs and exit the terminal then go back through security to get to my new gate?

I plan on carrying on so I don't have to deal with checked luggage.

thanks!
Jun 6th, 2017, 01:18 PM

Coming from the US and on two separate unconnected plane tickets, yes you would need to clear customs at the first airport you land in Europe.
Jun 6th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Yes you will go through passport control and security again since Frankfurt is your point of entry into the Schengen zone.
Jun 6th, 2017, 01:30 PM

If you have the boarding pass for your flight to Vienna with you, your way through passport control and security in Frankfurt will be the same as for those with "connecting tickets".

Customs will be in Vienna - even without checked baggage, you will exit via baggage claims and then choose the green exit for nothing to declare (in case you have nothing to declare).

You may want to check if the weight and size limits for hand luggage are the same for your seperate flight to Vienna as for the one US to Frankfurt, though.
Jun 6th, 2017, 01:56 PM

'Customs' is a non-issue. You WILL go through Immigration and security.
Jun 6th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'd be looking at about 1.5hrs turn around between flights. Doable?
Jun 6th, 2017, 02:08 PM

I would allow more, as connection is entirely at your own risk (two separate tickets). 3-4 hours more likely.
Jun 6th, 2017, 02:13 PM

>> I'd be looking at about 1.5hrs turn around between flights. Doable?<<

Possible -- but VERY short for non-linked bookings. You have no control over if you arrive on time, how many other long haul flights arrive around the same time, if your plane parks at a gate immediately, how long immigration lines are, if there is a security crack down, etc etc
Jun 6th, 2017, 03:01 PM

Where are you sitting on the USA to Frankfurt flight? Getting off that plane might be your big problem. It takes forever sometimes. I have done it in less time (1 hour) but my ticket was booked together. If there is a later flight to Vienna book that one. Nice shops and good dining there at least.
Jun 6th, 2017, 04:29 PM
J62

Your timing issue is not 1.5hrs between flights, it's the check-in cutoff time.

If you can get your boarding pass for FRA to Vienna before you leave home then I'd have no concern with the connection.

If not, then you are rolling the dice.

If you give us more details about the airlines we may be able to give more guidance.
Jun 6th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'm flying on Delta Airlines and land at 9:45am in FRA. Looking to book a one way flight on Austrian airlines to Vienna that would leave at either 11:50am or 12:50pm. Would be carrying on luggage.

based on most of the comments I'm thinking the 12:50pm is my best option?

Search this Thread