Search

frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 06:29 PM
jchan

frankfurt

hi, <BR> <BR>i arrive in frankfurt at a rather challenging hour of 5a.m - several hours too early before being able to check into local hotel( located in the downtown area ) for freshening and recover somewhat from jetlag. <BR>are there any suggestions for this first timer to ease himself into the new city in terms of activities/sites which aren't too taxing? <BR>also, any recommendations for day trips outside frankfurt? <BR> <BR>many thanks, <BR>directionless

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 07:35 PM
nickie

Will you be renting a car, or needing to take a train or bus for those day trips? Also, what time of the year will you be going?

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 01:06 AM
Roger

Hi, Jchan! <BR>If you are a member of the Club associated with the airline you travel with, you could go to the Club rooms and grab a hot shower, breakfast, and advice on activities available in the time you have in Frankfurt. If you travel frequently with any particular airline, it's worth considering joining their Club. <BR>Day trip from Frankfurt: to Mainz, about 20 minutes by train - see the cathedral and then visit the Gutenberg museum. Take a boat trip down the Rhine to Ruedesheim and climb up through the vineyards to the Germania monument. Walk down to the town, enjoy some real Rhenish wine over lunch and get a train back to Frankfurt. <BR>Hope this helps a little. Roger.

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Emily Connolly

You can arrange an early check in at the Sheraton right at the airport or you can ask for a day room rate

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 11:28 PM
miriam

Hi, <BR>I would take a Taxi to the Hotel you´ve booked and leave your luggage there and then start the day with a good breakfast at one of the nice Cafes we have here. You can easily spend 2 or 3 hours just eating, relaxing,watching people. To get a feeling of the city walk around a bit and by noon you´ll be able to get your room. I wouldn´t recommend to leave the city,travel to Mainz or the Rhein-you won´t be able to enjoy it. There´s a nice Cafe at the historic Roemer called "Cafe Roemerberg" and the rather modern "Schirn Cafe" is also nearby. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 06:39 PM
jchan

hi again, <BR> <BR>thanks to all for your insights and help. <BR>to answer the first question ( and sorry for the delay ), i will be arriving just before xmas and in all likelihood, i won't be renting a car this time around; boating and the train per the suggestions received for reaching interesting sightseeing points seem too good to pass up on. <BR>as far as anyone knows, is there an english web sight where i can find out additional info. regarding operating hours of trains, buses, or maybe even the ferries discussed departing from frankfurt over this holiday season. <BR> <BR>thanks again. <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 1999, 12:08 AM
miriam

Hallo, <BR>you can look up all train connections at http://www.bahn.de It´s available in English as well. And please think again about your plans doing much sightseeing apart from Frankfurt City. At the moment it´s freezing cold and stormy. I don´t think that a cruise on the Rhine would be fun, if they´re on schedule at all regarding the weather. There´re so many things to do in the city, like museums of all kind, shopping etc. <BR>To reach your hotel downtown you just have to take the underground, there are signs everywhere at the airport and it´ll take 10 min. to reach Frankfurt central train station(Hauptbahnhof). <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Dec 12th, 1999, 08:59 PM
jchan

miriam et al. <BR> <BR>thanks again for all the info. let's say that i am now forewarned with the weather prospect. <BR> <BR>regarding things to do in the city, does the frankfurt t.a.t ( theatre company, i hope i have the name right ) provide any their works for non-german speaking audience. <BR> <BR>thanks. <BR>

Old Dec 13th, 1999, 01:43 AM
miriam

Hi, <BR>unfortunately the TAT(Theater am Turm) does not have a home page, but I can check out their programm if you give me your exact dates. I have a better suggestion for you: There´s a very popular place called the "English Theater", it´s run by a an American lady and they only perform in English. I was there different times and always enjoyed it very much. Again, I can check out what´s on when you´re in Frankfurt. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 08:45 PM
jchan

miriam et.al <BR> <BR>thanks again for your suggested alternative. i think i may just proceed with the english theatre company - on the wing, if that may come to it. <BR> <BR>once again, happy holidays, and thanks for all your help. <BR> <BR>( the latest franfurt weather forecast is for icey conditions; winter clothings definitely ). <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>